Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brrngrbrian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 08:27 PM
    What is wrong with my wood furnace damper?
    When I got to reload wood I open the damper and smoke comes out the fire box door.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 08:46 PM

Do you open the manual damper before opening the door?

Oct 13, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Yes I open the damper all the way a good 30 seconds before I open the firebox door. I just cleaned the chimney and the wood furnace the best I could. I still get the smoke coming out the door when reloading. Please help thank you.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 08:25 PM
    In the wood burning industry it is sometimes called puff back. It can be caused by a few different things but usually it has to do with the chimney and the relation to the smoke shelf built into the wood burner. It could also be that your home is running under negative pressure which will cause this puff back condition.

Oct 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Thanks for your answer. Do you think it is something to worry about or not? Its not a lot of smoke. I don't understand the negative pressure thing. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Do I need a new furnace? Thanks for all your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 05:04 PM

Try opening a door or window and then reload, cheaper than a new fireplace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add on coal/wood furnace thermostat wiring for 2 zone house with oil furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Harman wood / coal furnace model SF-2500 (forced hot air system) and am tying into my existing forced hot air oil furnace 2 zone system and do not know how to tie into the existing thermostats and zones. I wish to still use the 2 separate zones for the bedrooms and the main body of...

What's Wrong With My Japanese Box Wood Shrub ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello... First, I have to come out of closet : I am NOT a gardener. About 2 months, we have planted about 60 Japanese Boxwood shrubs to fill-in spaces between hardscape columns. . About 4-5 weeks ago we had few very hot days. Then, I noticed about 1/3 of the newly planted shrubs were losing its...

Furnace not heating the house. Damper on the furnace not opening. Motor then shuts. [ 4 Answers ]

My forced-air furnace is not working correctly. The gas works heating the air in the furnace, but When the motor starts the damper doesn't open and the Motor shut down. I need suggestions?:mad:

Wood furnace [ 2 Answers ]

We have a wood furnace that blows heat to gas furnace. When fan/limit switches reaches temp blower kicks on blowing heat in.Worked fine last winter now blower will not kick in when limit is reached.Any idea why?

View more questions Search