Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    papa_jon_81 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Flame sensor questions
    I have a Goodman gmp125-4 gas furnace. I've been having all sorts of problems recently. I've fixed most of them, but the last problem I had was a code 5 "false flame sensed". The chart inside the door said the most likely problem was a stuck gas valve. I assume this is the problem if the fire has been burning, and in the off cycle, the fire is still burning sending a signal through the flame sensor, the system shuts off. My false flame sensed was happening when the furnace was turned on. I hooked the multi-meter up to the flame sensor, and was getting 50 or so volts while there was no fire. I unhooked the sensor, and got the same reading from the line itself. If I wiggle the line around, the voltage gets down to about 10 volts. The false flame alert is cleared, and the light is constant. I grounded the wire for about five minutes, and the voltage went down. I got the furnace to fire up, but I don't know how long until this mystery voltage reaccures. I need to know what is going on what this voltage is, and how to fix it for good. I always thought that the voltage came from the flame sensor, and was created by the heated flame sensor. If you know please tell me.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2006, 07:43 PM
    The flame sensor always has a voltage to it, and can change by manufacturer. What it actually does is rectify a current. In other words. When you pass an A/C current through a flame, the flame rectifies it into a D/C current. Like a diode does. If the flame sensor shorts to ground an A/C current is passed and the PC board knows it. Only when a D/C current is sensed through the flame sensor does it believe there is a flame prescent. Very safe, Huh? The ceramic mounting of the flame sensor could be cracked, the gas valve might have stuck open, very rare, unless it got water damaged. Or the PC board it going bad.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
    I find the flame rectifier interesting. I know flames are conductive. They can also be used as a audio speaker.
    papa_jon_81 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Thank you again heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

Furnace Flame Sensor - Multiple Failures [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I have an ArcoAire RPJll furnace, vintage 1993 - natural gas. The furnace came with a 50A55-120 controller and a WR 760-470 flame sensor. Since installation the furnace has consumed 1 to 2 flame sensors a year and 3 controllers since installation. At present it has the 50A55-843...

Flame on! [ 4 Answers ]

Please HELP. I'm having a problem with my furnace rather it's my thermostat it's no responding to the temperature. I replcae it with a new one and it's still the same the second I turn power on the flame and fan blower turns on.What could it be. The wring it's only two wires. W and r.

Old flame? [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to get an old boyfriend out of my head. I think of him often even though I am with someone. I felt like we were like best friends. Things just didn't work out though. Any ideas? Will I ever see him again? Does he think of me? Or is this all in my head?

Compatibility with an old flame [ 2 Answers ]

Am recently separated after 11 years of marriage. An old flame who's never quite lost interest is re-surfacing. I don't want to even see him if this is not a good match because I know the attraction will be strong. I don't want to go down a road that will lead to heartache for both of us. Are...

View more questions Search