Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    papa_jon_81 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Goodman gas valve
    I have a goodman model gmp 125-4. Last night I had a limit switch open code, I fixed it, the fan limit switch. Tonight I get a code 5 "false flame sensed", "gas valve stuck". I hit the valve with a scredriver handle, because I was told it might losen up the gunk sticking the valve. When I hit the valve, I heard a small amount of gas flowing through the valve. So, I know it is definitely a bad valve. My question is, Is there any way to clean the valve so that I don't have to buy a new one? I'm to broke to buy a new $100 dollar part, or call a service man. Please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Look it over. If it has a screwed on cover, take it apart and look at it. Note, it has a spring in it that could throw parts everywhere. Clean stuff up. A trick for reusing gaskets that have taken a set is to steam it over a pan on the kitchen stove good. Unless it is so old, it has hardened, it should flatten out and form a good seal like a new gasket. If it has an adjustment screw, not only leave it alone, it could mean replacing the whole valve is not a DIY project.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2006, 08:59 PM
    It is in violation to Federal and most state laws to open, repair or alter a gas valve, other than allowed by the manufaturer, which basically means you can change it to LP or NG.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chattering Gas Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lennox furnace with a honeywell gas valve (GSV8204H1006). The valve will make a chattering sound while its open. It goes away if I give the inlet pipe a slight rap with a wrench. The problem is intermittent in that it does not happen each time the furnace comes on. It seems to be...

Is it the gas valve or the pilot? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a very old AFCO gas furnace (@ 1950) - this is the first problem we've encountered in 10 years - it has a standing pilot which is connected to the gas line before the regulator and valve - the pilot also has 2 wires that act as a switch to the gas valve - everything is fine except for the...

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

Gas valve problems? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a miller/nordyke propane runned furnace m1 series. I have had the gas valve replaced and the ignitor. They checked the control board, there was nothing wrong with that. :p Here is the problem. The furnace runs fine and follows the sequences it should, but when the gas valve engages,...

View more questions Search