Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelleWT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Air conditioner not cooling
    My Carrier central air conditioner is 8 years old and it is not cooling. The vent blows air but the fan on the outside unit is not working. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
    jackhardy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Check capacitor to fan... turn power off to condenser... pull electrical panel off condenser... should be a silver round or ovel can looking thing with wires going into the top side of it... this is a capacitor... if it looks swollen like you stuck a can soda in the freezer... its bad and needs to be replaced... if not than more than likely the fan motor itself is bad... some hardware stores such as ACE Hardware carry condenser fan motors... check fan motor horse power such as 1/4 HP or 1/2 HP
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Did you check to make sure breaker to outside unit is OK,,
    If you end up replacing the motor tag where the wire go and take the old motor with you when shopping for a motor,, it has to turn in same direction, have very close to the same rpm`s as well as same horsepower
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
    If the fan and or the compressor is not working check for tripped breakers,bad run capacitor or bad contactor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioner Not Cooling [ 20 Answers ]

My air conditioner hasn't been cooling and I have had it on 70 degrees for the last 2 1/2 days hoping that it might cool down. Well it hasn't. It has been 80 degrees in here for the last two days. I called the maintenance man who works for my apartment complex and he looked at it and said there...

Air conditioner not cooling [ 0 Answers ]

My Carrier air conditioner is 8 years old and it is not cooling. The vent blows air but the fan on the outside unit is not working. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

My refridgerated air conditioner is not cooling, why? [ 3 Answers ]

My refriderated air conditioner is not cooling, why?

Air Conditioner Not Dehumidifying but Cooling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Our air conditioner cools, but does not seem to be able to remove much moisture. Yesterday, our the compressor stopped working and the fan inside the house did not stop. An air conditioner repair man came and found a bad connection on the compressor outside and found that a circuit board...

Central air conditioner not cooling properly [ 3 Answers ]

I have a single wide moble home with an addition, it has 100 amp service. I had a two and a half ton air conditioner and heat pump installed a few years ago. It has never cooled my home and I have had a numer of service people check it and they either add freon or take it out saying there is too...

View more questions Search