Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clothdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Furnace Won't Go On
    The pilot light is on but the furnace won't go on. I turned the thermostat way up and it still won't go on. The circuit breaker is on. Thanks... we're freezing here in buffalo today
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 02:02 PM
    You do have it switched to heat? First step is to make sure the thermostat is getting power. If you have A/C or a fan on option, try one of them and see what happens. If they are dead, the 24 volt transformer may be too, or at least the fuse for it.

If you have power, try jumpering the R and W terminals at the furnace. If that gives heat, the problem is the thermostat or in the wiring. If not, and you have a forced draft, the motor or its relay could be bad. The gas valve could be bad.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clothdog
    THE PILOT LIGHT IS ON BUT THE FURNACE WON'T GO ON. i TURNED THE THERMOSTAT WAY UP AND IT STILL WON'T GO ON. THE CIRCUIT BREAKER IS ON. THANKS...wE'RE FREEZING HERE IN bUFFALO TODAY
    Age efficiency and brand of furnace? Since you say it is a standing pilot, I'm going to "assume" it is natural draft (70+%). If you have 24 volts from R to ground and jumping R-W at the furnace still does nothing, check for an open limit device. There can be many types of these safeties (sorry I can't be more specific than that) Spill switches, fusible links, or main limit. Many of these can be reset by pushing a small button on the device. Beware, if you reset one of these and the furnace works, you still need to find out what caused it to trip. Plugged flue pipe? (Birds nest?) Flames rolled out the front of the furnace? (Cracked heat exchanger?) It is better to call a qualified tech' than to risk your families life...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Blower runs, furnace won't ignite. ( pilot light IS WORKING) 1. filter was cleaned 2. thermostat reprogrammed . Is there anything we can do beafore calling service?

Furnace not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Intertherm Split System A Frame unit. I turned the furnace on and it came on ran for about 1 min and went off. It did this 3 or 4 times then I turned if off. It was blowing heated air through vents, it just kept shutting off and comeing on every 1 min or so till I turned it off. Now it...

Carrier Furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking at furnace for a friend. The furnace will come on with that small fan and the pilot will light. However, the burner will not catch. This unit has a igniter I suspect that the igniter is bad. Is there any way to test it?

Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have what looks to be a old steam boiler. Any recommendations? I was told that I needed about 100,000 btu's. I know that I will have to get the system size correctly to be sure. But I wanted to find out if there is any particular brands that are good before I start getting quotes. I personal...

New furnace [ 9 Answers ]

I have got an old furnace I am going to have to replace eventually. I was looking for general advice right now what I should know when finding someone to replace it. I don't want to get into a situation where it will cost me thousands of dollars when I don't need to. I have a gas furnace with hot...

View more questions Search