Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    car9172 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Outside unit does not turn on
    Replaced themostat with same style. Still no 25v AC to outside unit. Contactor does not pull in, transformer is very hot. RC and RH terminals are jumpered.
    tixie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 06:44 PM

There is this guy that I am in love with I want to know if he feel the same way about me
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Sounds like love is in the air with the previous poster. What type of system(heatpump or gas furnace) what make of system(Rheem, Carrier,Trane,Lennox) And the most important question is how did the old thermostat wire up?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 10, 2009, 07:44 PM

tixie, just ask him, or post your question under relationships.

Car, please answer t-tops questions and we will try to help.

May 11, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by car9172 View Post
    Replaced themostat with same style. Still no 25v AC to outside unit. Contactor does not pull in, transformer is very hot. RC and RH terminals are jumpered.
    It is a Coleman SCS 2 used in mobile homes. Unit worked fine earlier this year, thermostat smelled burned so I replaced it. I also jumpered the wires to send 25v to outside unit, contactor did not close.
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2009, 03:14 PM

How and where did you jumper the wires. Try jumping them at the funace between r and y. let us know what you find. Also, if you have a volt meter, check to make sure there is not 24v at coil on contactor outside.

May 11, 2009, 03:30 PM
    I jumpered w and y at the thermostat. There is no voltage on the coil of the contactor. Not sure what you mean about furnace. Wires from thermostat-- one goes to coil the other goes through a transformer then to the other leg of coil. That trnsformer is very hot.
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2009, 03:41 PM

OK, you should be jumping r and y, instead of w and y. try this.

May 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
    I have RC, RH, W , and Y. RC and RH are are jumpered at the terminals as per the thermostat instructions.
    class 101 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 03:59 PM

Go to the thermostat open the cover do you see a red wire and a yellow wire jump it that will start the unit outside. Red wire is your hot or 24 volts yellow is your cooling and green wire is your fan and white is your heating.. note one thing safey is frist... www888aizeoffilter.com
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 03:59 PM

Some coleman units used a 3 wire setup and had a change over at the furnace, this may be your problem. What kind of t-stat was your old one?

May 11, 2009, 04:09 PM
    This is a mobile home so wire colors are probably not normal. I have a what and red coming from transformer in furnace, and a what and red going to outside unit. Heating and cooling have separate fans.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 04:11 PM

You have two seprate units? Then the jumper needs removed.

May 11, 2009, 04:11 PM
    The cheapest " Rite-Temp" they had at home depot
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 04:13 PM

OK, no problem, if the ac and the furnace are 2 seprate blower then remove the jumper between rh and rc

May 11, 2009, 04:22 PM
    I removed the jumper reinstalled the thermostat turned to cool still nothing
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 04:25 PM

Then you may have triped a reset or blown the transformer on the ac unit. You have the furnace wired to rh and w and the ac wired to rc and y?

May 11, 2009, 04:35 PM

Yes that's correct. The jumper was in there with the previous thermostat which was the same as the new on

May 11, 2009, 04:49 PM

What is the purpose of the transformer in the ac unit before the contactor? By the way thanks for all the help.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 05:12 PM

To power the ac unit. So just so I am clear on what you have. You have a furnace inside? And a package unit out side with flex duct under the trailar to supply the air for ac?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac unit will not turn on [ 41 Answers ]

Hi the unti just will not turn on. It is a lennox elite 13 and only 5 years old. Is there a reset button anywhere we have checked the circuits and fuses

A/C Unit does not turn on [ 2 Answers ]

My heater does not want to turn on, yet my thermostat tells me it is on and my house is very cold. What type of troubleshooting can I perform?

Ac Unit Fan will not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

My outdoor AC unit recently stopped working. When we power it on from the thermostat it clicks and theMy outdoor AC unit recently stopped working. When we power it on from the thermostat it clicks and then makes a sound like it is attempting to turn on, but the fan doesn't power on. Every minute or...

Outside AC unit will not turn on. [ 3 Answers ]

Here we go... Texas heat and AC problem... The out side unit will not turn on! I bypassed the Thermostat and connected the Y to R wire and the blower turns on , but the outside unit does not come on at all, I have checked the breaker, and have turned it off and back on, but same problem... is...

Unit does not turn on at all... [ 4 Answers ]

Help me please, I get power to all lines, wires, breaker boxes etc... but when I turn on both heat or air conditioner I get nothing at all. I tried replacing the thermostat and that did not fix the problem. I went outside to the condenser unit and took off the panel and pressed the contactor and...

View more questions Search