Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reespy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Converting from Mercury Thermostat to Digital
    Hey everybody, I hope you can help me with the problem I am having converting my old Trane Mercury thermostat model #3AAT80A1A1 to a Honeywell Digital thermostat model #RTH7600B. I currently have a multi-stage heat pump system.

The Trane has wires that are connected to O, R, T, G, Y, B, W and the W wire is also connected to X2.

The Honeywell has locations for C, G, Y, O/B, RC, R, AUX, E, L (for heat pump installation)
    The Honeywell also has locations for RC, R, W, Y, G, C, Y2, W2 (for conventional installation)

I have accounted for all the wires from the old system to the new system, except for the T wire. This is according to the instruction manual that accompanied the new thermostat.

Thanks in advance for helping me solve my problem.

v/r
    reespy
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 10:17 AM

T will probably go to l, what color is it?

Apr 26, 2009, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    t will probally go to l, what color is it?
    It is green, we did eventually hook it to L, the system seems to be running properly, except it is not cooling.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 10:52 AM

Do you have a jumper between rh and rc?

Apr 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
    do you have a jumper between rh and rc?
    There is a jumper between RC and R on the Honeywell, but there is no RH
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 11:17 AM

OK by not cooling do you mean it will not run in cooling mode or it is running but blowing hot air?

Apr 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
    ok by not cooling do you mean it will not run in cooling mode or it is running but blowing hot air?
    We figured out why it was running, but blowing hot air... we didn't program the thermostat to reflect that we had it hooked to a heat pump. It is cooling now, if I have anymore problems I will post another question. Thanks for your help in resolving this matter.
    tng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 08:48 AM
    T is for a cooling anticipator in the thermostat. It is hooked to a thermistor in the outdoor unit. This functin is not needed and should be deleeted when replacing with a modern programmable thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switiching from Mercury to Digital Thermostat! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five wire system. I have a green, red, white, yellow, and blue. This is an electric heater attached to the air handler and a separate air conditioning system. THis system was controlled by a Lennox mercury thermostat. Could you tell me what each color wire does? Example: Yellow...

Converting mercury thermostat to digital [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older home that we are renting. It has an outdated, unreliable mercury thermostat and we want to upgrade to a digital thermostat. I checked and all the wires are there as we have the heat and a/c. Is it OK to do that?

Mercury thermostat vs digital thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Last year I replaced the old Honeywell thermostat in my home with a programmable one. I figured that the set back feature would save me some money during the heating season. I don't think it did. Then this summer I kept using this thermostat for the cooling season, but I kept it at a constant...

Converting mercury bulb thermostat to digital [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL1200 Weathertron heat pump with auxiliary heat. It is controlled by a Trane 3AAT80A1A1 mercury bulb analog thermostat. I have purchased a RiteTemp 8050C digital programmable thermostat to replace it. The analog thermostat has wired terminals marked O,R,T,G,Y,X2,B,W and F. It...

View more questions Search