Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willift Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Venting a Condensate Pump
    I'm using a condensate pump to catch some basement water seepage and pump it over to my sump pit. It's a strange application but seems to be working to an acceptable decree. My problem is.

The run to the pit is over 50 feet and the water is "stuck" in the plastic 3/8" condensate discharge line. Should I install some kind of "Vent" to allow the water in the line to properly drain? At this point I'm not sure I actually have a problem, when the pump turns on it pushes whatever water that's in the line out but something doesn't seem right with all that water sitting in the line.
    Any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 9, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Did you put slope on the line to the pit? Where's the water "stuck"? In the vertical raiser from the pump or in the discharge line to the pit? Back to you, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 04:36 PM

Your condensate pump is working just fine as long as it pumps the water. No need to worry about the standing water in the clear hose line. You have no need to worry at all, just let it be. There is no need at all to vent a condensate pump. (it wouldn't serve any purpose). If you have no problems with the current set up, there is no need to change it. Please let me know what you think.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:54 PM

Most condensate pumps come with a check valve in them to keep the water in a vertical line from running back into the pump reservoir. So it is possible the check valve is causing an air lock and keeps the water in your line. And like mygirlsdad77 said it is not a problem.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 08:41 PM

What's done in sump pumps is a tiny hole, usually about 1/8" is drilled at the discharge at the pit. This intentionally causes the line to drain back into the pit and the loss is insignificant when pumping.

And I agree, so what if water is in the line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Ejector Pump With no Venting? [ 14 Answers ]

I just purchased a home that utilizes a sewer ejection pump for all of the plumbing in the house. Where the vent pipe comes up out of the seal on the floor it comes up about 2 feet above the floor and then it is capped? There is absolutely nowhere above that capped vent pipe where it could have...

Outdoor underground ejector pump & pit venting [ 9 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 30 yr. old house that has a pit & ejector pump on the output side of the septic tank. It is buried approx. 1 ft. I recently dug it up for the first time to investigate what I thought was a bad/intermittent float valve causing the pump to be operating constantly. My...

Venting a basement bathroom with a sewage pump [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, All I am trying to figure out the venting for my basement bathroom. I am running a 4" waste drain from the toilet to my sewage holding tank, (one of those inground ones with a pump)which takes a 3" vent. I will also tie in a shower (2") and a sink (1.5 or 2")to the 4" main drain. Do...

Plumbing Ejector Pump Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have recently purchased a home in Marietta, Ga and have noticed that the basement bathroom ejector pump is vented directly into the basement. It is not vented to the roof. Is this standard or within code? My concern is methane gas being vented into a living space (finished basement). ...

Venting sewage ejector w/ a studor vent [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, my home builder put drain pipes for tub, toilet and lavatory in basement floor; I'de like to know if venting my sewage ejector w/ a studor vent is up to plumbing code and if it will work for a full bath or must I dry vent it to the supplied vent in basement. Also, will venting the lavatory...

View more questions Search