Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llewis1776 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Heater stays on even in the off position
    This past winter I turned on the heater and had it set @ 68, it never shut off even in the off position. The only thing I could do is turn off the breaker. The temp reached 94 degrees. What could be the problem? I have changed the t-stat already. Thanks
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 01:51 PM

Sounds like you have a wire touching anouther or your gas valve is going bad
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 01:52 PM

I would unhook the thermostat wires at the furnace and see if it shuts down then. If it does, you have a short in the wires between the furnace and thermostat. Please let me know if this is the problem.
    coolin4u Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 03:55 PM

Is the heater gas,electric or oil they each could have a different type of problem

Apr 4, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coolin4u View Post
    Is the heater gas,electric or oil they each could have a different type of problem
    It is eletric heater.. I already dissconnted the wires from the furnace. And still the same problem.. so any other advice
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 05:42 PM

Yep it is probably your heat senqucer is not working and is stuck in the on position. It is a small double stacked relay where the heat strips are in your furnace. You may have 2 or 3 of them. Is the fan running all the time also?

Apr 4, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Yes the fan is on the whole time...
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 06:13 PM

I would say it is one of you senqucers then. Usually you have 2 or 3 and the one with the fan is the only one that is double stacked. There are around $29 to replace.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 05:53 AM
    I didn`t see the model and name brand of the furnace, some electric furnaces (goodman) for example have a board control instead of a sequenser
    But it does sound like one or the other is bad
    coolin4u Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 10:25 AM
    These guys are on the ball sounds like good advice to me.
    pricey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 02:48 PM
    Hi guys I have the same problem but mine is oil heating, any help... Please email me as well so I get your answers... thanks its [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard Heater stays on. [ 18 Answers ]

I have a baseboard heater that stays and gets really hot when the thermostat is turned all the way down. It is a single pole thermostat and brand new. I thought the new thermostat would correct this very problem. The baseboard itself was brand new just last year. It seems to go up and down...

Blower would not work on AUTO position just ON position [ 9 Answers ]

I have installed new rooftop unit- electrical heating & cooling- few weeks ago. When I run the cooling everything goes fine (blower and composer) but if I run the heating; heat element will fire up but the blower will not work unless I put the fan on ON position not AUTO position, so, please, I...

Heater Blower Continuosly Stays On [ 6 Answers ]

Last night I had replaced my working noisy buzzing Honeywell mercury t-stat with a quiet programmable Lux t-stat, reconnected the respective R to R, G to G, W to W and C (blue) to the RH/RC terminals on the t-stat just as the instructions required. Then I attempted to turn on the heat through the...

View more questions Search