Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IdeZynIt Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Where does the fault lie?
    We need a SureLock on an answer to our mystery:

We have an outlet (not GFI or GFIC) that plays nicely by itself but refuses to share!

If we plug anything into the UPPER part of the receptacle, it interrupts service to ALL the other outlets on that breaker. Mind you, it does NOT trip the breaker, it just stops the electricity from flowing to all the other outlets.

When we plug anything into the LOWER part of the receptacle, NO interruption to the rest on the wiring line, but the power to that one receptacle does become intermittent.

This 'badboy' outlet is located in the dining room. It is on the same line as the livingroom outlets and the kitchen's (there is a GFI in the kitchen, of course.)

If there's a problem with that one outlet, why does it work just fine if nothing else is plugged in on it's wiring line - and- why doesn't it trip the breaker... ever?

What the heck is going on (and off)? Please shed some light on this for us and help us solve this mystery!

~
    :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 01:49 PM

While I am a bit mistified like you, I would just cahnge out the outlet and be done with it. Have you opened the box and actually put test leads on the wires to try to see what happens. Inspect the wiring on the outlet to see if pigtails were used or was it wired in series to the other outlets.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Probably just a bad backstab connection. Remove the receptacle and see if the wire are pushed into the holes in the back.

If so move the wires to the screw terminals, better yet replace the receptacle and use the screws. I bet it's old anyway.
    IdeZynIt Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 03:15 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been swimming through the plumbing columns.

We absolutely will change the outlet and HOPE that's the end of it.
    (Well, actually, we hope it's not the end of it... we hope it's the continuation... of ELECTRICITY! :) )

Since I'm such a dim bulb about of all of this, I really am still curious as to why one outlet might be the cause of ALL this yet never trip the breaker and why it functions just fine all by itself.)

Ah, but that education can wait. First things first. Replace the outlet. Will do!

(All kidding aside, thank you ballengerb1 and stanfortyman, for your time and advice!)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 04:32 PM
    The reason it is not tripping is because there is no short circuit. Simply a bad/loose connection.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 09:01 PM

Please be sure to flip off the breaker in the panel, and then test the outlet with a meter before you remove the outlet. We will be here again tomorrow if you want to update us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First fault vs. Second fault [ 1 Answers ]

What do the terms 'first fault' ('single-pole fault') and 'second fault' denote (in the context of an electrical system)?

Was it my fault? [ 1 Answers ]

Well here I am again begging for some ideas! Well I'm an 18 year old working at government, I was going to office today morning when an old guy caught my hand and he wouldn't leave me. I was so scared I pushed him and he started yellin saying that I hit him. And so some of his friends came...

It's my fault. [ 5 Answers ]

My kitten just died and it's my fault. How in the world am I supposed to get over that?

DO you think its my fault [ 6 Answers ]

Do you think its my fault here is my story. My common law husband is renting a farm But the owners live there and they always come out to site with us in the back .well I was there with my sister inlaw and her family and my kids where there too well the lady that lives there came up to me and my...

The guy is a 100% in fault [ 2 Answers ]

I got into in accident and the guy is totally 100% at fault. He was coming towards me on my side of the road on the highway and had supposedly taking 20 nerve pills.What save my life was that I gave it to the left so he hit me on the right end side of my car.He is only charged right now for...

View more questions Search