garr220 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Mtd blades
    How do I sharpen my mtd chipper/shredder blades
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 08:12 PM

There are ways to do this . Here's sites to help you and some good pointers

Don't use the motor oil to coat bottom inside deck of mower.

Always use safety glasses and a good vice can be important.

YouTube - How to Sharpen a Lawn Mower Blade

Some are good hear and some are not due to safety issues. Use common sense along with safety. Watch sparks as they fly and where you may have old rags/grease rags/ Gas Cans. Sparks can really travel, so be safe and set up a safe place to work/sharpen blade.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 12:43 PM

Ok this is a wood chipper and not a mower, I think 21boat saw MTD and just jumped the gun a bit. Your chipper blades are are actually more like small hammers with a beveled edge. Most are held on the fly wheel with hex set screws that can be removed but you must take apart the chipper housing to get at this point. Once you remove the blades you can sharpen on a good wheel or stone, don't bother trying to file, the steel is too hard.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the cover ballengeber1. The irony here is I have asphlunds 6 cylinder wood chipper. ( chuck and duck)

If this is a chipper on a drum that's spins fast follow the clearances from blade to fixed housing. That is as important as sharp blades. Check specs. Mine drum/blade that spins is unbelievable close to housing. Also if there is a bad blade that may need replaced, replace both blades to keep the spinning drum balanced, Weight here could also be a big factor
    I was able to sharpen my blades in the housing with a file. You should check about using a grinder. If you grind and heat that metal up it can temper the edge of the blade and become brittle to brake/chip quicker.
    Again Thanks Bal1.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engaging blades on MTD [ 1 Answers ]

When I engage the blades on my ridin lawn mower the engine sounds like it is choked down. I can engage the blades while the motor is idled down and then give it gas and it works fine. Any thoughts?

Ceiling Fan Doesn't Run with Blades on [ 13 Answers ]

The blades on my ceiling fan were loose. When I tightened them, the fan would not turn. I tried loosening them again to their previous position, but no luck. When I remove the blades, the assemble runs at full speed. When the blades are reattached, it does not run or runs very slowly. I have...

Turning blades [ 4 Answers ]

My Bolens 20hp mower blades will not disengage fully when handle pulled to appropriate position. They slow but do not stop completely

Sharpening saw blades [ 6 Answers ]

How do I sharpen saw blades circular saws

Blades will not disengage [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Mode# 917.256522 and the blades will not disengage. The lever will not travel completely to the disengage point and feels to bind. I cannot see where it is binding. Any ideas on how to fix this problems? Thanks

View more questions Search