Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chinda71 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Carrier air handler
    I was hooking up what I thought was a 24v heating wire to a thermostat when I came to later find out it may be 120v. Anyway, I try to manually turn on the fan on my carrier unit and I hear buzzing from the unit and nothing turns on. When I turn it of it does a little buzzing again. I went up and opened the side panel and noticed a blown 5amp fuse, replaced it and it still does nothing. What do you think I blew up and need to replace. It seems to hum from the rear where there looks to be a coil. The model is FB4ANF018

Thanks
    Jay...
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Possible transformer
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Do you notice any burnt odor from either the unit or the thermostat?
    chinda71 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 10:16 PM
    There was smoke coming from the thermostat when I turned the breaker back on.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 07:03 AM
    I think you can safely assume that the thermostat is ruined. I am puzzled as to how line voltage could have been present amongst the low voltage wiring, if so. Unless you have a multimeter and some basic electrical knowledge, I'm afraid this has become a job for a pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Air Handler Circuit board [ 1 Answers ]

The compressor fan motor went bad as did the capacitor and contactor set. Replaced all and after that, the fan for the air handler would not shut off even with A/C and heat off. One morning smelled an electrical fire, checked in the attic, the air handler and it appeared the fan motor for the air...

Carrier air handler 24 volt transformer. [ 15 Answers ]

Last week my air handler quit working, I found that the 5AMP fuse for the secondary 24volt pwr supply was blown, replace and all worked fine for a week. Now I find it blown again, but each time I relace it it blows, The voltage reading I get at the fuse is 29.5 V is that to high? The transformer...

Carrier Air Handler [ 2 Answers ]

My air handler in the attic has iced up on the inside, but he blower is running. Naturally, little air is getting throughout the vents to the house.Temp is 84 degrees thermostat set at 73. I was told to turn off the air handler to let it defrost... service cannot get out for a few days. Will...

Reset for carrier air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I put a new thermastat on and the unit does not work? Where is the reset button on the furnace?

Carrier air handler fan noise [ 6 Answers ]

We had a Carrier heat pump/air handler installed in March. The installation people told us to keep the fan running all of the time to circulate air. Last night it started to make a high-pitched noise when just the fan was running, that could be heard through the registers in the house. You can't...

View more questions Search