Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HOUTECH40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Odd Smell from A/C
    Hvacservicetech_07, this one is up your ally.
    I have a 6month old 5ton Carrier brand new unit, when running the heating system during the winter all was fine. We switch it to A/C and right away an odd smell permeates from every vent. It smells like a wet dog, or a kid that had been out side playing a while. Its not a dead animal, I know that smell from a couple rats that made it into my attic some time ago. Its not that. I did replace the filters upstairs and down. Only thing I thought it was related to could be the cement or puddy the guy put around one of the air ducts. Yet, it’s been a while; any fumes would have dissipated a while ago.
    Any thoughts?

Much Thanks, Dan.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 04:07 PM
    You have dirty sock syndrome. Carrier and others have problems with that. Various bacteria etc attach themselves to the coil. Do a Google search for Dirty Sock smell or syndrome and you will see many posts and answers for this problem.

What is the “Dirty Sock Syndrome?”

Musty Smell Dirty Sock Syndrome - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion

Dirty Sock Syndrome

ETC
    HOUTECH40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Another added question, if the issue is related to smell sock synd. Would this be covered under warranty or is it the installers fault? Or will this issue drain my wallet?
    Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 10:38 AM
    At 6 months old it would be an argument point I would bring up if necessary and I would also take my complaint to the Carrier Corporation IF necessary. See what the original contractor says and give some time to correct But not 6 months more. I feel that the original installer could just clean the coil and say it is OK now but if you have read up on this enough you will see that is not the real cure. Cleaning then spraying with a special coating works much better than just washing it off. This is a subject that you will find much information on Google about. Many folks say they have a cure but I am always concerned the cure might just work for there situation since there are many different types of bacteria and mold that can cause this problem. I would not put up with the situation long term. Good luck with your endeavors.

Note: Remember that the bacteria/mold did not come on the coil when new. It came from within your home or duct system. The bacteria/mold is your problem since it came from your system or home BUT the manufacturer failed to take this into consideration in the construction of the coil. Since almost all homes have bacteria/mold and since these items are attracted to the moist surfaces of the coil you would think that the manufactures would have anticipated this situation more than what they do.

In your dealings always remember a spoon full of sugar will always get you better service than a pound of salt especially under these circumstances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Dog smell in carpet from peeing how do I get the smell out/ [ 16 Answers ]

How do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet?

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search