Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMJAM Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Miller Furnace
    I have a Miller Furnace in mobile home. HAve had repairman twice and still not resolved. Problem: Sometimes the furnace doesn't "come on" when the thermostat gets to the point where it requires heat. If you touch the thermostat it just clicks - however if you open the furnace door & push button it resets immediately. This does not happen all the time - may run fine for a week or more then becomes possessed. Repairmen have changed "the box" - tightened wires - "fixed" this and that but the problem remains. Any Suggestions?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 04:09 PM
    What reset button are you talking about?

Feb 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    What reset button are you talking about?
    It is a little grey box that sets attached & to the right of the furnace. If you hold the door button in and push this "button" the fire starts.

Feb 11, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Exact model of furnace?

Type of fuel Oil or gas?

Sounds to me like you have a oil furnace and you are pushing the reset on the safety control. Is this correct?

Feb 11, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Exact model of furnace?

Type of fuel Oil or gas??

Sounds to me like you have a oil furnace and you are pushing the reset on the safety control. Is this correct?
    Can't find the model - its Kerosene and I asked the neighbor and he "thinks" it's the safety control. Now I am nervous.

Feb 11, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Exact model of furnace?

Type of fuel Oil or gas??

Sorry it's a Miller
    CMF80-AG
    CMF80 - PG
    CMF80-PO

Serial # A0785-4510

Thanking you for all your help

Feb 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Woops I just saw your other post it is oil.

Yes the safety control is tripping and that usually means there is a flame out condition or another part in the flame sensing/oil supply system is causing a problem.

There can be MANY reasons for the control to trip.

Bad or weak cad sell detector.
    Bad or weak flame safety control
    Bad or weak ignition transformer
    Loose or damaged pump to motor connector
    Cracked electrode insulators and on and on

I have no quick cure because a professional will have to test all these items in order to find the offending part. Sorry but you will need On Site Service from a local professional.

Feb 11, 2009, 06:10 PM
    does it burn oil or gas?
    Kerosene - we are in Northern NY

Feb 11, 2009, 06:13 PM
    Woops I just saw your other post it is oil.

Yes the safety control is tripping and that usually means there is a flame out condition or another part in the flame sensing/oil supply system is causing a problem.

There can be MANY reasons for the control to trip.

Bad or weak cad sell detector.
    Bad or weak flame safety control
    Bad or weak ignition transformer
    Loose or damaged pump to motor connector
    Cracked electrode insulators and on and on

I have no quick cure because a professional will have to test all these items in order to find the offending part. Sorry but you will need On Site Service from a local professional.

Feb 11, 2009, 06:22 PM
    I have no quick cure because a professional will have to test all these items in order to find the offending part. Sorry but you will need On Site Service from a local professional.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so very much for your time & knowledge. I am awaiting a call from the repairman and keeping your email close by to ask if these things were checked.
    Have a wonderful evening and if you are ever in our "neck of the woods" I owe you a dinner.

Feb 11, 2009, 07:46 PM
    I was in NY city last year to give a quick class on Chilled Beam cooling for commercial buildings. I hope the service person figures it out for you but a intermittent is tuff to find.

Feb 12, 2009, 08:22 AM
    I have no quick cure because a professional will have to test all these items in order to find the offending part. Sorry but you will need On Site Service from a local professional.[/QUOTE]

Continuing the saga - the repairmen were here for the 3rd time today - said it was the thermostat - replaced that then they said the reset box was bad for using it to turn on the furnace that way (this is a box they replaced on their second trip - said it was under warranty but needed to charge 100 more for service and labor) - Oh yes another sidenote - this "primary control box" is what they call the box with the red button and the reason it was replaced to begin with is the wires were loose and made it malfunction. They tapped the side of the box to show my husband how dangerous and faulty it was.
    Now they did extra diagnostic tests (according to them) - drilled a hole in the stack and put some probe in there and covered back with aluminum tape. Ok paid the bill and they are out the door.

Furnace comes on - life is good... starts to feel a little chilly - check out the thermostat and yup - not working again! Now I have called the owner and we will see where it goes -

Feb 12, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Wow you have some expensive and incompetent furnace people in that area. Sorry to hear about this type of treatment and I would definitely have a talk with the owner of the company. Something is wrong with this picture.
    the bear 71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 01:21 PM
    Will all miller oil furnaces also run on kerosene K-1 as I do not like to use No.1 oil.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear 71 View Post
    Will all miller oil furnaces also run on kerosene K-1 as I do not like to use No.1 oil.
    Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Miller Oil Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a miller oil furnace that was installed in July of 2006 it has been running just fine until now I have power to it but it won't run. I can get the fan to start but when I hit the reset button all I get is the blinking light. Can you help:(

Miller Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a modular home three years ago brand new. The furnace is a Miller. Three days ago the primary control went bad. Don't you think that's way too soon for a primary control to go bad? I want to complain to the company, but I have no idea how to reach the people who make the Miller...

Miller furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have no pilot light. The burner lights on full capacity at all times.

Miller oil Furnace [ 10 Answers ]

The light on the reset button keep flashing saying that it is locked out how can it be unlocked

View more questions Search