Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajaybathija4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 01:17 PM
    92 Honda Accord, A/C Fuse keeps on Blowing out.
    I have a 92 honda Accord EX. The A/C fuse (7.5A) (under the steering wheel) keeps on blowing out. Every time I replace it, it cools the car for 5 minutes and the A/C fuse is blown out again. I am not sure where to start diagnosing the problem. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

One of the mechanics said that the compressor is gone. I am not sure if I should believe that, because had the compressor gone bad then it would not cool at all.

Any suggestions would help. It is crazy driving in Florida without an A/C

Thanks.
    Ajay Bathija
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Due to the potential complexity of the problem, you should try to get a 1992 Honda Accord Service Manual, if you want to tackle the problem yourself. You will also need a digital multimeter.
    ajaybathija4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 08:13 PM
    TXgreasemonkey:

Thanks for the response.

I have the Haynes manual, but I don't know where to start from.

I have been two mechanics at this point of time and following are the diagnoses they have given so far.
    1. the compressor is spoilt and hence it is consuming more electricity which is causing the fuse to blow off.

2. The Condenser fan is not working, hence the temperature around the compressor is increasing which is increasing the pressure in the compressor and there by forcing it to consume more electricity. This has caused a relay (placed next to the steering pump reservoir ) to burn out. And now when I turn on the A/C it forces the fuse to blow out. The Fan has fallen of the radiator and hence I would have to replace the radiator also.

At this point of time I am not 100% sure of the diagnoses are correct.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The fuse that is blowing out is the "A/C Clutch relay" fuse and it is recommended that 7.5A fuse should use.

I have noticed that when it is hot outside the fuse blows out faster while when it cooler outside.

Hope this helps in giving you a better insight to the problem.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Ajay
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 07:07 AM
    I would take your car to a local Honda dealer--don't trust it to anyone else. They will fix it correctly and most inexpensively, in my opinion.
    heresdamian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 04:10 PM
    I have the same problem with my LX. I ended up taking a 7.5 amp fuse and powering the compressor clutch directly from the battery with the fuse in between and the car on. It blew the fuse. I'm going to opt for another compressor instead of just the clutch since this one on the car is over 15 years old.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 08:22 PM
    :confused: 900 hits on this post? Am I seeing that right? There must be a bunch of Accord owners out there with A/C inquiring minds that need to know :confused:

[EDIT] Damn, that was a year ago, my bad. It's late. I'm hittin' the sheets!
    muthukumaran_m Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have a 99 Accord and I do have the same problem, please let me know if you guys got a corrrect solution to this problem.

Thanks,
    Muthu
    jurpusaman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 06:26 PM
    I have 1990 Accord EX with the same problem,
    rmfortwo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 02:07 PM
    I have been learning the quirks of my 1992 honda accord coupe lx. I drove all summer without a/c in Tampa,FL. I found this post and changed the 7.5 amp compressor relay fuse and I have crisp cold A/C! I too had a fuse blow on a 95 degree day. My thought is that a new compressor relay should fix the problem ($26). As I see it, the a/c compressor relay fuse can only blow from a bad relay. The relay on my car is above the air drier. I am so grateful that I caught a break on a potentially expensive fix. After a week of riding with the windows up, I am feeling quite civilized again! We do what we have too to get by, but sweating while driving sucks. Ps I also fixed the transmission control module. I replaced three resistors and two capacitors. $20 for the components and three hours vs $200 at autozone.
    pj1023 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
    I had the same issue with my 1992 honda accord
    Replaced 7.5 amp fuse and 2 brand new relays for 26.00 and found a split on the wire that turns on compressor fixed it . Know I have nice cold a/c thanks for all the tips ,help me resolve my a/c problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

1990 Honda Civic fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a 1990 Honda Civic to run. I am looking at the fuse panel under the stearing wheel. There is no cover. I am missing 6 different fuses. I think one of them might be to the fuel pump. Can any one tell me what amp fues goes in each slot, and which one goes to the fuel pump?? Where...

98 honda accord [ 1 Answers ]

Warm weather out, car won't start. This happens frequently during spring/summer. Any suggestions??

Honda accord [ 4 Answers ]

My honda accord won't start. Can you help me troubleshoot?

Alternator solenoid valve fuse blowing with 1990 Honda Civic [ 0 Answers ]

A frined (I guess you could cal him that) gave me a 1990 Honda Civic that doensn't run... two problems: one problem is that the fuse to the alternator solenoid valve blows when I turn the key to start thus I can't get the codes from the EUC.. the other one is that there is no fuel getting into the...

View more questions Search