Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1946GM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Heating drain pipe freezes up
    I have a carrier gas heating unit is in the atic and the drain line (pvc) drains outside down the wall I have insulated the pipe but at the bottom it freezes up when the water starts to swril around about 2 inches off the ground and to the ground -- this stops flow and stops the furnice what can I do -- I tried to run pipe insulation to the ground and our few inches but still freezez at the end of the insulation
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Cut off the pipe some so there is a bigger distance from the ground to the pipe OR redirect the pipe to a indoor drain for the cold weather so it has no chance of freezing. Building codes need to be considered eventually but for now you just need to keep the furnace running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to solder tail pipe onto drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/4" drain on my bathroom sink. It goes into the wall and soldered on to a cast iron elbow. My chrome pipe is leaking and needs to be replaced. What alternatives do I have besides tearing the wall down to repipe?

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

Tapping in new drain pipe to old sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a new tub and shower in my basement. The old shower in the basement drained through a pvc pipe that ran on top of the basement floor directly to our floor drain. I have excavated a channel from the proposed tub site to the sewer pipe running from the first floor toilet to the...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search