Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deccher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Worth replacing GMP125-4 Heat Exchanger
    I have been told that my heat exchanger on my GMP125-4 furnace has 4 or more cracks by a certified technician.

This furnace is 11 years old, so I am trying to determine if I should pay to have this replaced or buy a new furnace.

How much effort would it take to replace this myself? Where might I find instructions for doing so? Where can I buy a heat exchanger on-line?

Thank you.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:33 PM

Get some price quotes on both,, for the repair,, and for replacement
    Its no easy job,, and it depends on if you have a/c coil on furnace or not, will make a difference in labor cost,, if it was me, I`d get real serious about a new furnace
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:35 PM

I have replaced quite a few of these myself, so that should tell you something. Even out-of-warranty, the replacement H/X isn't too expensive, but definitely not a D.I.Y. project. Factor in the overall condition of the rest of the unit, and compare unit repair cost to unit replacement cost. This job in my local market would cost between $400-$450.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 08:35 PM
    It is possible you might still have a warranty from Goodman. If not buy a new unit.

To be safe you do not want to do it yourself.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    It is possible you might still have a warrenty from Goodman. If not buy a new unit.
    If I'm not mistaken, the GMP has a 10 year H/X warranty, the GMPN has 20.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 08:51 PM

There you have it.. If heat exchanger is under warranty, I would have it replaced by a tech. You will most likely have to pay for labor, but parts would be free. If not under warranty, I would agree that you should look seriously at furnace replacement. Hope these answers help. Let us know what the outcome is please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas heat exchanger won't start on Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old. York heat pump model GFD04821G with a G9YS100C20DH11H gas heat exchanger and York T8411R1443 thermostat that has been acting up the last few days. The other day I woke up with no heat. I looks like the installer set this system up so it uses the resistive heat coils for...

Noisy heat exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

Just had my heat exchanger replaced yesterday. Mades a loud banging noise after blower goes off technician says it must be faulty heat exchanger but I doubt it . Any knowledge aboutt what the real problem is??

Heat Exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas pack and I need to find out if the heat exchanger is under warranty. It is a comfortmaker, Mod# PGAA24DIKG, SN L973826975. I have found out that the SN is directly related to the systems warranty. The new part is about $600, and I would like to avoid this cost if it is warranted still.

Heat exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to find some one that can tell me were I can obtain a glow worm space saver 80BR Mk ll heat exchanger part No.418551 helppppppp [email protected]

View more questions Search