Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wando1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Think I might have a frozen pipe
    Current cold snap in portland or. Yesterday morning I had no hot water in the kitchen sink. Cold water works but not a drip when you move the handle to the hot side. Dishwasher is right by the sink and when I turn it on no water makes it to the dishwasher. Hot water works in the rest of the house. I put a small heater under the kitchen sink for several hours and left the cabinet doors open and turned the heat up in the house over night. Still nothing out of the fawcet. Suggestions
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Hi Wando...

Best bet here will be to OPEN the faucet to hot side first and leave it open... ok?

Then, if you have copper water pipes, I want you to get under the sink with a hair dryer, or better yet, a paint stripping heat gun, and get right up on the hot water pipe where it goes into the floor/wall and begin to heat the pipe directly. Get right up on the pipe, but don't start burning anything... ;) May need to work this from the basement end as well..?

If not copper pipes let us know what kind of pipes you have, but basic principle will stay the same... just need to be more careful not to melt the plastic, if you have plastic pipes... you know.

Anyway, the open faucet is really the trick... once pipe begins to thaw water/steam needs to go somewhere or all just refreezes against the ice.

Also note here that you should at least be prepared for a broken pipe... if this happens just be prepared to shut off the main water supply (at meter or pump) and maybe open floor/wall, etc...

If using a paint stripping heat gun it's not a bad idea to have a fire extinguisher handy!

Let us know how you make out...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen outside pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I found water under my inside A/C unit & outside pipe was frozen. I turned off A/C & let thraw & changed a dirty filter. I turned my A/C back on. If this doesn't fix problem, what is my next step? Thanks!

Frozen Underground Drain Pipe [ 0 Answers ]

How can I defrost a frozen drain under my driveway? I know for sure its frozen, it freezes every year when the temp if below zero. It's a 4" pvc pipe I put in for the furnace condensate and floor drain unto the creek

Frozen, shattered vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

We just discoved that a vent pipe in our attic somehow froze and shattered. It was full of ice. We are confused about how all the water came to sit in the pipe. The pipe runs horizontal for about 25 feet until it reaches the upward pipe that goes out the roof. This pipe that broke only vents...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

View more questions Search