Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konga9 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Low water pressure in whole house.
    I just started having low water pressure in my house and it's driving me (not to mention my wife) crazy.
    When you turn on any faucet the pressure starts normal and steadily fades. The pressure doesn't disappear totally, just enough that taking a shower is difficult.
    This morning, while taking a shower, when the pressure got low I shut the water off and waited 15-20 seconds and turned it back on and the pressure returned, but started fading away again within 10 seconds or so.
    At first I thought it was time to change my "whole house" water filter. I've always used a 5 micron water filter, which is what I replaced it with, If I can remember correctly the pressure didn't improve.
    I removed the filter from the holder, turned the water back on and the pressure was back normal. Then I started thinking that I bought the wrong filter and I normally used a 10 micron filter. I returned to the store and purchased a 20 micron filter (no 10 micron available at the time) and installed it into my line.
    The water pressure returned for a day or two now it is bad even with the less restrictive water filter. I bypassed the water softener and this made no difference in the pressure.
    The well pump seems to be functioning fine at 40/60 psi and doesn't seem to be cycling on and off continuously.

I don't know much about how wells work and am at a loss, please help.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 01:23 PM

It is either the filtration system or your pressure regulator is bad. Also, make sure all main water valves are fully open.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Decreased Water Pressure when more than one water source is ON - Affects whole house [ 6 Answers ]

When any water source is turned on IN the house, all other water sources have DRASTICALLY decreased pressure until the first source is turned off. This happens throughout the house. For example, you are getting water via the refrigerator water and someone starts washing their hands in the...

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Reduced water pressure after installation of new water heater (entire house) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new water heater installed yesterday and the water pressure seems to be reduced (probably 85-90%) of the prior level, through out the entire house. Our old water heater started to leak yesterday AM, had the new one installed that afternoon (40 gallon, 9 year wty, gas: GE...

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

View more questions Search