Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConcordOhio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 07:29 AM
    speed control of high ceiling fan
    I have a ceiling fan that is too high to get too easily to adjust the speeds. It has three speeds with a pull chain. I was told by an electrician to install a variable speed switch (something like used for a light), in place of the fan on/off switch. We have two switches for the ceiling fan, one for the light and one for the fan on and off. He said to adjust the speed to high on the fan then adjust the speed with the newly installed variable speed switch at the on/off switch. Is that OK to do? Is there a special variable speed switch, I should ask for? Or, Should I just leave it a well enough alone?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 08:08 AM

Sounds fine.
    Just be sure it is for fans, not a light dimmer.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 11:44 PM

Leave the fan pullchain on high, buy a 3 speed wall control. Problem solved.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan speed control [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed ceiling fan. The medium and slow speeds seem to work OK but the fast speed setting runs somewhere between slow and medium. Could it be a switch problem or the speed controller? I'm pretty sure it is a Hampton Bay. Sure hate to replace a $200 fan when I can repair it.

3 speed ceiling fan switch has 1 high & 2 lows now [ 4 Answers ]

My ceiling fan works on high but the mid speed is now the same as the low speed. I changed the switch but now the mid speed doesn't work at all. Is there another part I need to change? Thanks

New ceiling fan shuts off when operated on high speed [ 1 Answers ]

The fan is new Hampton Bay (Florentine IV) with a 4 speed wall mounted control. The contractor did not wire the fan to the wall mount control. He installed a Hampton Bay 3 remote control. The fan worked on low and medium then shut off at high speed. The contractor thought the remote was faulty so...

Ceiling Fan will not reach high speed [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a replacement 52 inch Harbor Breezefan and I am experiencing the same problem as the last one. It appears to turn only at medium speed when on high. I have four other fans of the same type and all spin considerably faster. My son said the original turned as fast as the others and a...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

View more questions Search