Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 19, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Kenmore Furnace, Cracked Heat Exchanger
    I have a Kenmore natural gas furnace that is about 15-20 yrs old, heats a house which is about 1600 sq ft. This morning there was an odor in the house (smelled like something burning)- and the furnace would kick on and off periodically, but nothing blew through the vents... started getting cold... Had a repairman out to look at it, he said that the problem was that there was a crack in the heat exchanger, that it was overheating, and shutting off-

He said this was something that couldn't be replaced, and that we'd need to get a new furnace installed- is this true? Is it an irreparable part?

If so, what would be a decent price for a new furnace installation in WNY? He gave us a price of $2,000 for the cheapest one we can get (which is what we need!)- do you think we could get someone to go lower than that by shopping around?

Any advice would be great... we're cold!

Thanks!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 08:22 PM

On your furnace there are two or more sections to your heat exchangers, more than likely. So one of the sections could be replaced but it is labor intensive and you will not find many people that will do it. Also the price to do it would probably compare to the new furnace.

I would call a couple of different companies and ask if they give second opinions at no cost, that way you can get their ideas and if they say the same thing is wrong you can get their bids.

Do not tell them what the first guy told you.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 09:31 PM
    The parts for that old Kenmore are probably not available.

You get what you pay for in this industry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hazards of cracked heat exchanger? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old Carrier gas pack that stopped working last week. The thermostat works and the unit will kick on but no heat (or any air period) comes up in the vents. The unit is working as it is kicking air out its side vent. I had a technician come look at it today and he said he had not...

Gas heat exchanger won't start on Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old. York heat pump model GFD04821G with a G9YS100C20DH11H gas heat exchanger and York T8411R1443 thermostat that has been acting up the last few days. The other day I woke up with no heat. I looks like the installer set this system up so it uses the resistive heat coils for...

Noisy heat exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

Just had my heat exchanger replaced yesterday. Mades a loud banging noise after blower goes off technician says it must be faulty heat exchanger but I doubt it . Any knowledge aboutt what the real problem is??

Heat Exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas pack and I need to find out if the heat exchanger is under warranty. It is a comfortmaker, Mod# PGAA24DIKG, SN L973826975. I have found out that the SN is directly related to the systems warranty. The new part is about $600, and I would like to avoid this cost if it is warranted still.

Heat exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to find some one that can tell me were I can obtain a glow worm space saver 80BR Mk ll heat exchanger part No.418551 helppppppp [email protected]

View more questions Search