Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownie124 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Connecting a power transformer to a light?
    Hi,

I have an outdoor lamp at my house that is/was using a power transformer for the lamp. First question: Why?

The wires on one of the windings has been ripped off the unit and the base of the unit is very rusty. I do not know the manufacturer or the specs of the unit. So, I bought one, taking a guess that this might work -- the Radio Shack 273-1512B.

Second question: How do I connect it? Based on what I read in this forum, I am assuming that I would connect the two black wires from the primary winding to the power source -- the wires coming into the lamp post from the house. I am just a bit unclear however on what I connect to the black and white wires coming from the lamp itself. Is it as simple as connecting the white wire to one of the yellow wires in the secondary winding and connecting the black wire to the other yellow wire? I am assuming also that I would not use the center-tapped secondary black wire.

Thanks,
    - Brownie
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 03:19 PM
    The low voltage lights are popular for many outdoor applications, there are several kits for lighting landscaping and walkways around homes.

A picture would help me identify what you have.

The transformer by Radio Shack does not look nor stated to be rated for what you want to repair. Do not use it until more research is done to show you this is fact.

The transformer you propose is only for printed circuit boards, and I doubt it will last outdoors.

A picture or a detailed explanation would be great to help determine what you need.

If anything could be used would be what we call a chime transformer, available 120 AC volt primary to 24 volt AC secondary, or which ever the volatage of the lamps, and will include proper grounding wires, and while not necessarily built for true wet locations, with proper protection from water, will last.

Parts or replacement fixtures may be available for your system, many times the fixtures costs less than parts.

May 31, 2006, 03:51 PM
    tkrussell: thanks. Where can I post pictures here? Also, where can to go to get ratings of various transformers?

Thanks,
    - Brownie
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 03:54 PM
    In the window that pops up when you answer a question, in the upper bar is a paper clip, here is where you attach various file formats.

Each transformer is rated via a stamp on the unit and/or listed in the manufacturers literature.

May 31, 2006, 04:03 PM
    tkrussell: Ok. I am not at home now, but tomorrow morning I will take pictures of the old transformer, the light and the power source (the wires into the lamp post)
    Unfortunately, there is no literature with the new transformer. There are specs on the back of the packaging however:
    Input: 120VAC, 60Hz
    Output (load): 25.2VAC C.T.@2A
    Output (noload): 27.7VAC
    Current (load): 760mA max
    Current (no load): 140mA max
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 04:06 PM
    If it had a NEMA or IP rating, it would be listed on the unit or in the specs,and state where it is allowed to be located. There should also be a UL listing or label on the unit to be listed as usable connected directly to building wiring..
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jun 1, 2006, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie124
    tkrussell: Ok. I am not at home now, but tomorrow morning I will take pictures of the old transformer, the light and the power source (the wires into the lamp post)
    Unfortunately, there is no literature with the new transformer. There are specs on the back of the packaging however:
    Input: 120VAC, 60Hz
    Output (load): 25.2VAC C.T.@2A
    Output (noload): 27.7VAC
    Current (load): 760mA max
    Current (no load): 140mA max
    most low volt lites use 12 V... they do sell 12 v 60 / 75 w electronic transform that would fit inside the weather proof box

Jun 3, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Ok, so we are assuming that the transformer is down-converting and not up-converting?

I would post pictures but I don't know how to make them small enough to be able to post; zipping even one of them generates a zip file that is to big to attach to a posting.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Send a PM to admin, they will help with attaching photos.

We use step-up and step down terminology for transfomers, you need a 120 volt/? Volt step down transformer. What is the voltage of the lamps? That will be the secondary voltage needed.

Most outdoor low voltage lighting systems use 12 volt AC. The transformer must be UL listed, rated to be located outdoors and be able to be installed in an enclosure and must be grounded.

Best to find a replacement part for your brand of fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer won't boot, but power light blinks [ 11 Answers ]

So I have this computer. It worked just fine for a while. But now it starts up, boots up into Windows just fine. After about 2 minutes or so, the computer will just randomly turn off. The power light will start blinking, constantly, once a second or so. I hit the power button, nothing happens. I...

Power light flashing. [ 1 Answers ]

The power light on my MESH tower is flashing. Why?

Wiring power transformer to furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lennox furnace & I am trying to replace my transformer. On my old transformer one side has a black wire coming out connecting to a black wire coming out of the furnace. On the same side there is a white wire connecting to a yellow wire on furnace. On the other side there is a red wire...

Do fluorescent light consume extra power when turned on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having an ongoing debate with several people for quite a few years now over whether the "fluorescent startup myth" is true or not. The legend is that although fluo's consume less power than incandescents while running, fluo's consume a lot of power when you first start them up -...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search