Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b0b138 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Thermostat and outside unit making clicking sound?
    The clicking sound on the outside unit is coming from inside somewhere. Would a bad contactor cause this or is there something more going on?

I had just replaced the transformer. After replacing that is when the clicking started, until it suddenly stopped and now appears the new transformer broke as I don't have 24v anymore.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Jumper your hot thermostat wire to the (probably yellow) stat wire,that is sending power to the a/c,if the a/c works then you`ll know its OK,and the tstat is probably bad ,if a/c still not working check for low voltage power at the contacter ,possible torched by the replacement of the transformer... you also can jumper the hot wire to the white leg and see if it operates the furnace,, also make sure there are no breakes or shortages in the tstat wire,, sometime the dog or weedeater make for a short life on tstat wires going into the condenser unit

Sep 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
    There is no low voltage power at the thermostat or contactor or directly from the new transformer. Something caused it to burn out again.

Sep 9, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Would a short in the contactor cause clicking sounds at the thermostat and from somewhere inside the outside unit?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:02 PM
    A shorted out contacter will blow you transformer at times I`ve seen it happen,, the tstat might click a few times before the transformer blows again,, if you not careful you going to blow the tstat also,, the next transformer you install put a inline in so the fuse will blow and not the transformer,, but you going to soon spend enough in transformers and tstats that you could have paid a tech to come out and fix your problems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioner Unit Outside Making a Clicking Sound [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas and it's really hot already and I noticed last night that my Air Conditioner unit outside is making a weird clicking sound. The fan was turning last night but today it stopped working. It is around 81 degrees in my house right now and I need to know what is going on to fix this...

My shoulder keeps making a clicking noise! [ 6 Answers ]

My shoudler keeps making a clicking noise when I rotate it. It is stiff and doesn't really hurt. I play softball and am active during that, the rest of the year I sit on my butt lol. Does any body have any clue what is wrong with my shoulder? It has been doing it for several days.

Clicking sound [ 6 Answers ]

My car keeps making a clicking noise in the fronr end even when idling.. any idea what it could be?:confused:

John Deere L110 Clicking sound on start - new solenoid, still clicking! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I cut my lawn, engine was running for about 2 hours. Stopped at neighbors house, cold beer, go to restart, just a clicking sound. Thought battery was dead, did a quick check, good voltage, hooked it up to a charger, good amps. Still clicking. I figure it's the solenoid, picked one up...

Toilet clicking sound [ 5 Answers ]

I hear a loud click at times after the toilet has stopped running, it also runs for a few seconds at times. COuld this be caused by air in the lines?

View more questions Search