Aug 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Wood burning furnace questions
    We one of these in our basement right next to our regular furnace:

Clayton Wood Burning Furnace
    Models 7.1 V + 5.6 V
    Voltage Rating: 120V AC 60HZ
    Serial - WH1 - 843175
    Class "A" All Fuel Chimney 6" I.D. Flue

We bought the house this past winter and are now looking at finishing the basement so we'd like to sell it. What I need to know is:

What do we have to do to unhook it? It's wired to a thermostat (sits just above our other one in the wall). I an see where I can block it off from the regular furnace, I'm just looking at unhooking and capping off (?) the electricity going to it.

Also, I've been looking around, but I'm not sure how much we should ask for it being whoever buys it will have to move it out of the basement themselves. I don't want to risk taking it apart and putting it in the garage because I'm afraid I'd do it wrong, making it worthless, and also because with my back problems I'd never be able to do it anyway *L* I want to get rid of it at a fair price, but I'd also like to get as much as I can to use towards the remodel as well.

Thanks,

Melissa
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Disconnect the thermostat remove from wall if you want to.

Disconnect electric and be sure to terminate the conductors in a safe way.

Remove unit from furnace and patch holes.

Remove chimney connector and put a cap on the hole in the chimney.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
    To have someone take it apart, get it out of your basement and rid you of it... I'd be surprised if anyone would pay you. Not much of a market for used wood burners. Since you want it gone, who is doing who the favor?
    dunarab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 02:57 PM

First of all, Malenkia, don't listen to the lazy person preceding me . I have a previous rental and the same deal. They installed a wood burning furnace next to my other furnace and guess who has to deal with it. Im going to advertise it for sale. It prices for between $900 and $1100. I am going to ask $500 and put that the buyer will have to remove it. I would however unhook everything as the smart knowledgeable first answer person explained to you and if you aren't in a hurry with our present energy crisis and high bills someone will want that furnace. If you are in a hurry to remodel you could hire someone to move it to your garage to show people. Don't give up on the idea because I am going to have the same problem too and I can relate. If it is very used as mine is only a yr old, you might just put it up for adoption if they want to get it out of your way. I still think it would sell. THERE IS A MARKET FOR USED WOOD BURNERS!
    Hope it works out for you. Best Wishes, Kristin
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Dunarab... you call me lazy? Well first of all, you jumped on a thread that is 6 months old. And you said that the wood burner is worth something... then you tell them to give it up for adoption? Pick up the phone and find out what someone would charge to disconnect that furnace... someone who knows what they are doing. Then try to give it to them as payment. It's nice that your optomistic, but in all reality that used piece of equipment is not in demand. It's not generally a do it yourself install, as Malenkia well knows. But you may get lucky and find someone to take it... but don't count an any money for it.
    dunarab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Whatever!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a wood burning insert [ 2 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to remove a wood burnign insert from a fireplace due to it's weight?

Removeing wood burning stove [ 2 Answers ]

I'm purchasing a home and it has a wood burning stove right off the kitchen and I'll probably never use it. Is it hard to remove? Is it worth something? Or should I just keep it?

Clayton wood burning furnace [ 0 Answers ]

Iam wanting to sell my clayton wood burning furnace. Model 7.1v 5.6v and has a water heating packet of copper pipe that returns to a water heater. What are the btu's of this unit and about what should it be worth.

Removing a wood burning stove [ 1 Answers ]

Help! When we brought this townhome it came w/a wood burning stove in the fireplace. It is ugly to us and we would like to remove it. Can we just leave the "hole" and still burn wood?

View more questions Search