Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkhw77 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Correct size of the HVAC unit
    Hi,
    I am replacing Central heating AC system in the house and getting very different estimates for HVAC unit sizes from different contractors.
    I live in Massachusetts close to the ocean (could be very humid)
    Unit goes to two stores 27x25 totally 1350 sf addition built in 1974.
    Addition opens to the old house ans adds about 250 sf to cool/heat. 1600 sf total.
    It is normally insulated with smaller windows (still from 1974). Currently I have 85000 BTU heater and 49000 BTU AC all carrier still working - obviously not with full efficiency but still keeping us comfortable.
    For Heater I am getting proposals from 56000 to 100000 BTU (92%)
    for AC 36000 BTU 13 SEER from all.
    All of the six contractors use their best guesstimates.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Have one of the better contractors do a manual J. It is the only sure way to know what size equipment to use. Like you said the contractors were all guessing and the manual J will put a stop to that.

Info on manual J.

https://www.acca.org/Files/?id=128 Microsoft Excel work sheet example

ACCA System Design

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC Wiring Size for Geothermal units [ 6 Answers ]

I've found a number of these type of questions in here and I thought I'd post my own, with what I *think* my solution is. I have two geothermal units The first Geo unit has this... Min CKT Ampacity = 25.6 A Max HACR = 35 A The second unit has this... Min CKT Ampacity = 29.6 A

Poster in E&L needs some HVAC advice also, LRA of a 5 Ton unit [ 2 Answers ]

This is not really practical to try to deliver 120 volts at 150 feet and have the capacity for 400 amps. Assuming the maximum load of each 200 amp service to be 80% of full rating, would mean the calculations would be based on 320 amps, or 160 amps for each service entrance. Thanks for your...

What is correct size ac system for 1500 sq ft [ 2 Answers ]

What is the correct size ac system for 1500 sq ft

Size of ac unit needed to match a carrrier heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

I had a Carrier natural gas heating unit installed in 2003. Model number 58STA/STX 070 Catalog number 535-80105. My ac unit has gone out and the company I bought the heating unit from has gone out of business. What size ac unit will match the heating unit? Thanks so much!:cool:

Correct Size AC Unit? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in PA and my home was built 7 years ago and a Carrier Model 38TKB036300 central air system was installed. The home is two stories, has about 3200 sf living space, with a 500 sf great room that has a 20' ceiling. When I turn on my AC, it will only drop the temperature 1° per hour. (It has...

View more questions Search