Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WiscoB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Wiring replacement Condenser Fan motor
    I replaced the condenser fan motor on my old Tempstar A/C, but I am a little uncertain about the wiring on the new motor. Attached is a picture of the way I have it wired right now and the wiring diagram that came with the motor. The old motor had 3 wires:
    Black - wired to T2 contactor
    Brown - wired to 'fan' on capacitor
    Red - wired to T1 contactor and there was a small red wire going from the same T1 prong to 'C' on capacitor
    *white wire from compressor wired to 'HERM' on capacitor

New motor (Wagner) came with 5 wires, Black, White, Red, Brown, Brown w/white stripe. Based on the wiring diagram with the new motor I tried to follow the 3 wire setup:
    Black - wired to T2 contactor
    Brown - wired to 'fan' on capacitor
    White - wired to T1 contactor and reused small red wire going from the same T1 prong to 'C' on capacitor

Problem: The fan turns on okay initially, but it turns off after a few minutes (~5) then is off for little while turns back on for a little while, then off again and seems to be getting very hot. Thinking the wiring might be wrong. What are the red and brown w/white wires for? Please help, wife is getting tired of my do-it-yourself attitude, thanks.
    Attached Images

wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
    did you buy and use a new matching capictor with the motor? I`m ready instructions as white and black =hot goes to contacter,, brown and brown / what both go to new capiciter one wire to seporate post of capiciter and wiretie or tape the new capiciter to the side of original tape or cap off the red wire for it is not needed out of way ,away from the fan blade,, also before installation make sure the fan is going to run in the right direction,, see instructions on the box
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 06:32 PM
    You need to use the 4 wire setup as wmproop said... and make sure you cap off the red wire. And did you get a new capacitor? I hate to repeat what wmproop says, but perhaps if you hear it a few times you will heed the advice. One more thing... did you get the correct voltage motor?
    ryan skaggs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Is just your condenser fan shutting off? Or is the compressor shutting off too? Because it could be a lot of different things if both compressor and fan shut off at the same time. And the capacitor is used to start your fan not keep it running!
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Problem: The fan turns on okay initially, but it turns off after a few minutes (quote)

Don`t think he said anything about compressor shutting off,he was talking about and installing a FAN motor

Jul 29, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the quick response. I did get a new dual capacitor with the fan motor, same rating as the old. The voltage on the old and new fan motor is 208/230. If I should be using the 4-wire diagram then I have it wrong because I was not using the Brown w/white wire, I have it capped. Where should the brown w/white wire go on the capacitor? On another prong of the 'fan' terminal or should it be on the 'C'?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Br/wht goes on C, yes
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Just be sure the new capiciter is what the motor calls for,, most times I leave the duel capiciter (original ) alone and buy a seporate much smaller single capiciter just for the fan motor

Jul 29, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Thanks wmproop, I will try rewiring based on your suggestion when I get home.
    MAX217 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Can a motor burn up when you have red hooked to the common on the duel capacitor with a 4 wire condenser fan motor.{have black wire,brown and white,and brown/white.
    MAX217 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 02:15 PM
    I meant red,black,brown and white stripe .also a brown wire

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan motor replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump and have purchased a replacement condenser fan motor. It had an Emerson KA55HXPAM-7255 and was crossed over to an A O Smith ORM 1008. My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had orange, brown, black on the old one. The new one has...

Condenser Fan Motor Replacement [ 9 Answers ]

I’m attempting to replace the condenser fan motor on a Trane XB1000. It originally came with a .25 hp GE motor with mounting stud that are about 3 inches apart. The only suitable replacement that specs out (type, volts, amps, rpm, etc.) is an AO Smith unit, but the mounting studs are about 3.75...

Replacement Motor Wiring for condenser unit [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Lennox HS16-461V-4P. The motor bearings died and I ordered a replacement motor. The old motor (GE) had two purple wires that went to and from the capacitor mounting in the unit. It also had orange and black wires that went to line voltage. The new motor (Emerson) only has three wires...

Condenser motor replacement [ 11 Answers ]

I am replacing my condenser motor. The old one had three wires Purple that went to the capacitor then the black went to one side and the orange went to the other side. The new one it has a black wire, a white wire, brown and white, brown and the ground green. I don't know which wire goes where. My...

Rheem Condenser Fan Motor Replacement (Wrong One?) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time here. I hope someone can help me. My Rheem Home A/C compressor died 6 months before my 10-year warranty expired. I had it replaced and then about a month later my condenser fan motor died. The guy who replaced it installed a Rheem compatible but I just noticed that...

View more questions Search