Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sparky3000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Combination Summer winter hookup
    I know I am an electrician asking a plumbing question... :confused: let the jokes fly... :p
    But after doing several new homes in the Lehigh Valley area, I have noticed that anyone getting an oil fired hydronic heating system often gets a electric water heater and they are hooked together. My question is does this really save that much money in oil bills? If so, I think I understand the basic concepts involved with installation. Please feel free to correct me. However what is the best way of suppling the water heater (Ie: with a mixing valve, directly from the boiler, also should I install a return loop to the boiler with a ciculator pump.? )
    Yes I am slightly confused.

D.
    FRANKLOP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 09:25 PM
    Hello, I have a oil fired summer/winter hookup.I attached 2 rads and 1 cooper /finned baseboard in the basement on the same level as the boiler , problem , with the thermastat off to the boiler, when the boiler is fired up to heat the domestic water the new (2) radiators and the finned toob baseboard all heat up. Any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky3000 View Post
    I know I am an electrician asking a plumbing question...:confused: let the jokes fly....:p
    But after doing several new homes in the Lehigh Valley area, I have noticed that anyone getting an oil fired hydronic heating system often gets a electric water heater and they are hooked together. My question is does this really save that much money in oil bills? If so, I think I understand the basic concepts involved with installation. Please feel free to correct me. However what is the best way of suppling the water heater (Ie: with a mixing valve, directly from the boiler, also should I install a return loop to the boiler with a ciculator pump.????)
    Yes I am slightly confused.

D.
    SPARKY , IF YOUR USING THE BOILER TO HEAT THE DOMESTIC WATER,THE BOILER WILL RUN ALL YEAR .THIS WILL HAVE A HIGHER BILL.YOU ALSO WILL HAVE TO INSTALL A BFP ON THE AUTOFEED AND A TEMPERING VALVE /MIXINGVALVE TO TEMPER THE HOT WATER TO 125f. BY CODE. YOUR ELECTRIC WATER HEATER WILL HEAT THE WATER UP ANYWAY,YOU REALLY Don't NEED THE HELP FROM THE BOILER ,IF I READ YOU QUESTION RIGHT.BUT IF YOU HAVE A STORAGE TANK ,YES YOU WILL HAVE TO FEED THE TANK AND RETURN IT BACK AND YOU HAVE TO INSTALL A TEMPERING VALVE.ON THE AUQASTAT YOU WILL SET THE TWO LIMITS 20 deg apart .I see then date was a while ago .good luck .I would never recommend a oil fired and electric water heater, costly compared to gas , plus it it will be less maintanance ,way cheaper to ru . Plus the oil fired heater will tear up a liner compared to gas. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan direction: Summer vs. Winter [ 3 Answers ]

I moved recently and can't find my owners manual. But I remember it mentioned that you should have the fan direct air downward or upward depending on season. Does anyone know which way the fan should be pointing in the summer? Thanks.

Can I use them.heat all winter? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a gas backup heat on our heat pump.Our outdoor unit probably needs replaced but I was going to put it off until the first of the year if possible.Is it safe to run my heat pump in emergency heat for an extended period.

Winter/Summer fan revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a condo and there are Hampton Bay ceiling fans in every room. Of course, there are no owner's manuals. Which position does the switch have to be in for updraft and or downdraft. I can't tell just by standing beneath it. Thanks

Summer Switch on Furnace- on or off in summer? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model Carrier furnace for central heat in the basement; the AC unit is newer and outside. I noticed that the Carrier unit has a "Summer Switch". Should it be set to off during the summer months?

Heat in the winter [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an apartment (building built in 1800's) in west chester, Pennsylvania and I do not have a thermostat in my apartment. My neighbor downstairs has the thermostat to control the heat for both our apartments. Minus the kitchen and office, each room has a single hot water radiator. My...

View more questions Search