Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttravi02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Central heat
    The other day my central heat quit blowing hot air. I can feel cool air and the thermostat will be set at 72, but the temperature never raises higher than the temperature of the house. Does the thermostat need to be replaced or is it a wiring problem or something wrong with the actual heater? I can feel the air blowing, but it's always cool air. What do you think is the problem? Do you think it's an expensive problem to fix?
    semenzato Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttravi02
    The other day my central heat quit blowing hot air. I can feel cool air and the thermostat will be set at 72, but the temperature never raises higher than the temperature of the house. Does the thermostat need to be replaced or is it a wiring problem or something wrong with the actual heater? I can feel the air blowing, but it's always cool air. What do you think is the problem? Do you think it's an expensive problem to fix?
    There is a small chance that the thermostat or the wiring is bad, but more likely something is wrong with the furnace. A simple check you can make is to pull the thermostat off the wall (there may be screws, or it may be a snap-on model) and see how many wires are connected to the thermostat. If there are only two wires, then you have a problem with the furnace for sure.

If there are three or more wires, then you can still do some testing yourself, but it gets more involved. You would need to find the thermostat installation manual on the web, and figure out which wire controls the fan and which one controls the heat. (The wires may be color-coded but it's not guaranteed). Then by temporarily shorting the appropriate wires you can try to start the furnace. If you are extremely lucky and manage to start it, then you only need to replace the thermostat. I am only describing this vaguely because it's not clear you want to do it.

More likely you will need to call for service at this point. Unless you forgot to pay your gas bills and they turned of the gas, or the gas supply has been shut off otherwise. I don't think the repair would be terribly expensive, depending on what part is broken, but service is not cheap either.

Luigi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Central air [ 1 Answers ]

My air stopped being cold it still blows and is not all the way hot air, it is on auto, but won't cut off, and the thing outside is very cold. What is this

Too much condensation w/ central gas heat [ 2 Answers ]

I knew something was wrong when I came home and all my windows were fogged up. I do live in Alabama- it's been raining all day and is 41. When the gas central heat comes on it's like a sauna! What's going on?

Installing Central Heat & Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can...

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search