Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrwanttobeplumb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Leaking drain pipe
    Why plummers putty and not the rubber gasket, all direction says the only place the putty should be used is in between top lip of drain pipe and sink. If putty is to be used should it be used without rubber gasket?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Sounds like you are installing a new pop-up assembly for a lavatory sink or a strainer for a kitchen sink...yes?

If lavatory sink, putty is used between the lip of pop up assembly and sink basin. Putty is not used anywhere else on the lavatory drain assembly.

If sink strainer, then rubber gasket goes UNDER the sink... not inside the sink under the strainer. Putty only gets installed under strainer lip... then rubber gasket and cardboard or plastic gasket (if provided) go underneath the sink

If sink strainer was provided with a rubber gasket for the top and bottom then you can use both or discard top one and use the putty.

Never use putty AND the rubber gasket.

You cannot use putty on marble or granite sinks or countertops... oils will discolor these materials over time. In this case, use of the rubber gasket or use of a silicone caulk will work better.

Let me know if you need more...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

P-trap to drain pipe connection leaking. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was redoing all the drain piping under my sink during a remodle. It appears everything is sealed nice and tight except for the connection to my drain pipe. It's a plastic drain pipe coming our horizontally from the wall with a threaded end. I purchased a new P-trap and put it in. ...

Leaking Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hopefully someone can help me here. I am in a newer home (3 years old), and have just found out that the upstairs bathtub drain pipe leaks. It is the 4" PVC pipe that I noticed water leaking out of after draining the bath water of our newborn (and happened to go into the basement (unfinished...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Drain pipe leaking [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: under my kitchen I have drain pipes that run to a large pipe that goes down into ground.I have no idea what this called(sorry)where the drain pipe and this large pipeconnect is leaking.How do I repair this?

Leaking drain pipe in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know...

View more questions Search