Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    premisis one Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Adding main flr w/r
    I am adding a powder room c/w toilet and basin. I was told that if I use 2" piping all the way up to the basin tail piece that this would act as a vent if tied into the toilet drain. Will this work properly?The toilet is on the main floor and it will be about 10 feeet away from a main sanitary drain. Thank-you:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by premisis one
    I am adding a powder room c/w toilet and basin. I was told that if I use 2" piping all the way up to the basin tail piece that this would act as a vent if tied into the toilet drain. Will this work properly?The toilet is on the main floor and it will be about 10 feeet away from a main sanitary drain. Thank-you:confused:
    Nice try but no cigar! Don't hire the person that gave you this advice to do the job.
    You would be in violation two ways if you attempted this. One, you would be building a "S" trap by using a elbo to pick up the trap instead of a tee with a vent out of the top, and two you would be discharging a major fixture,(your toilet) past a unvented minor one.
    However there is a way around running a vent out the roof, if local codes permit. You may connect the lavatory drain to the toilets drain line if you place a AAV cheater vent, (see image) on the tee instead of running a vent.
    If this is a first floor installation you may use 3" for the toilet and 2" for the lavatory drain. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c popping main breaker [ 4 Answers ]

We purchased a reconditioned unit to replace an older unit in a mobile home. The unit worked in the shop where we purchased it. We hooked up the 2 110V lines and then turned on the thermostat to cool. Immediately following, the main 100 amp breaker popped. We then disconnected the thermostat wires...

Main drain [ 1 Answers ]

My main sewer backed up 4 times a year. Cost me $100 every time I called the plumber. What type of chemical can I used to prevent this. I have no tree in front of house at all. Thank you in advanced

Main pipe backup [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am new and I have a question about a backup in my main drain. I am don't know plumber lingo so bear with me. The problem is I bought this house in 2003, the first year there was a backup when we would run the washer.we called a plumber and he snaked it out and found roots, he told us that it...

Main bathroom blues! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! I went to turn on my hot water from my bathroom sink and the darn thing spat or sputtered at me; almost like a gurgling popping sound. :confused: It's a double tab sink. Since then I've had no or very little, a trinkle of hot or cold water coming from the tabs. The toilet is not as...

View more questions Search