Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qfowers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
    2 Thermostats on one furnace
    I would like to add a downstairs thermostat on my furnace. Will it hurt my electronic/programmable thermostat upstairs to simply wire another thermostat to the furnace? I understand the voltage would be sent back to it but it wouldn't go anywhere that it doesn't already when the upstairs thermostat kicks on. I was told it for sure wouldn't hurt the old dial thermostats but want to check and see if I am going to kill my programmable one. Any info on this would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Such an arrangement would apply voltage to the W terminal of the thermostat when it wasn't calling for it. If the thermostat actually has small relays in it, it shouldn't hurt anything. If instead, it is solid state, I can't say. Might be a good idea to carefully read the instructions and maybe check with the manufacturer.
    qfowers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 02:00 PM
    The thermostat makes a loud click when it kicks on and is at least 10 years old so I would assume it has relays. I think I will give it a shot. Thanks for the info.
    TKellertck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by qfowers
    I would like to add a downstairs thermostat on my furnace. Will it hurt my electronic/programmable thermostat upstairs to simply wire another thermostat to the furnace? I understand the voltage would be sent back to it but it wouldn't go anywhere that it doesn't already when the upstairs thermostat kicks on. I was told it for sure wouldn't hurt the old dial thermostats but want to check and see if I am going to kill my programmable one. Any info on this would be appreciated.
    Many Programmable stats have a remote sensor opption.They are a 2 wire S1 & S2 simple hook-up.You may need to disable the main sensor for set up to work properly.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
    I don't see where this would help you. You will just end up overheating the area with the least heat demand. Pretty much just like the problem you are trying to resolve.
    jake4 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 08:27 PM
    If possible you need a zoning system installed, aprilaire makes nice setup
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jake4
    if possible you need a zoning system installed, aprilaire makes nice setup
    Sounds like a better plan, but still not easy to retrofit and make work good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostats HELP [ 2 Answers ]

Okay guys I just moved into a new place and the thermostat is way off. It's a mechanical one, so today I went out and bought a honeywell programmable one and tried to install it. The problem is the wiring which I have no clue. What is included in the honey well is: Y G W Rc Rh

Two Thermostats to One [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a separate thermostat for the heater and the A/C... I want to combine them into one thermostat... I have replaced the thermostat before, but my knowledge of the wiring is very basic... My issue is that I have two "R" wires and I am worried about combining them together since it is...

Thermostats [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kind of off the wall question. First of all, we have a hot water boiler system which is 2 zone (1 upstairs, 1 down). I was wondering if there was such a thing as putting an extra sensor in the bedrooms that would trigger the thermostat to kick on if one of the rooms gets below a certain...

Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently purchase a home and I found two thermostats installed, they told me one controls de AC and heat and the other one heat only, They're located on different rooms. Can anybody tell me how can I replace this two thermostats into one? Thanks

Parallel Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I Am installing baseboard electric heat in 2 rooms in my basement on a new 20 amp 240v circuit. In the first room I'm putting 1 1500 watt heater and 1 1250 watt heater for a total of approx 11.5 amps (connected parallel). My question is this: Can I run a parallel connection from the first...

View more questions Search