Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bxbella825 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Signing rights away
    I have a 3 yrd old son and for the beginning of his life his father was around. Now for the past yr he wants nothing to do with him. I've given him every opportunity to spend time with him and to see him but he has not taken them. I am not even getting child support from him. I asked him to sign over his rights to our son and he agreed. What would be my next step? Will I need a lawyer? Will it be expensive?
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Mar 26, 2008, 02:21 PM
    You probably want a lawyer because you want to make sure there are no loopholes in the arrangement that the father can argue later. That being said, I do not believe it would be very expensive so long as the father does not contest the action.

I believe the lawyer will have to draft the papers, present them to a judge and the judge would grant the request.

But, why bother? If he isn't around and is making no claim, why would you need to legally need to get him out of your 3 year old's life?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Make sure the father understands that signing over his rights does not stop his obligation to pay child support. Also ifyou have not been getting child support, why, have you turned him over to your state child support enforcement, have you taken him back to court to have the judge enforce the order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a child from this girl, she has put him on child support But now he's considering signing over his paternal rights. He has recently stopped working and can no longer pay child support. If he signs over his rights will he still be obligated to pay for child support or any back...

Signing away my rights? [ 71 Answers ]

I am an 18 yr old male in Michigan . I got my ex girlfriend pregnant right before we broke up. She refuses to get an abortion because she really hates me and wants to do this as revenge in her own words she wants to "take me for every dollar i have" . I have offered to pay for an abortion and she...

Signing over rights [ 3 Answers ]

I know someone who has recently signed over rights. This person now feels they have made a terrible mistake. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks

Signing over my rights [ 1 Answers ]

What paper work do I need to sign over my rights?

Signing rights away [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm asking on how to sign my right away I am the father and I don't get to see my kids much and have to pay a lot of money for childsupport which I'm behind on and now they want to thow me in jail when I'm trying. So I would like to just sign my rights away. She is married now and my kids...

View more questions Search