Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmariano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Gas pack heater goes on sporadically
    I have a 1991 Rheem gas pack (self contained furnace/AC). The Ac works fine but when I turn on the furnace it either comes on or does not as if it has a mind of its own. When I adjust the thermostat setting to start the furnace the ignitor sparks but the burners do not turn. The combustion vent fan does come even if the burners do not ignite. I have gas and power coming to the unit.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Could be a bad flame sensor or could be it just need to be cleaned. When you open up the unit most of the time you will probably see much rust etc.

If it does not have a flame sensor it may have the old White Rodgers control.

I have no drawings for that unit available to me especially since you did not bother to list a model number.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 3, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Hmm spark but no burner,, dirty pilot maybe

I believe on that model the pilot proves the flame.
    So we need to follow the sequence of operation to where it stops .

See the faq that should help
    vdubya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 03:07 PM
    It sounds like the gas valve in the main gas pipe inside the unit, the pilot light doesn't operate through the same valve as your ribbon jets do so you will see the pilot light come on but not the jets/burners. I on the other hand just had mine replaced this past winter and now my AC blower won't work the compressor and outside fan works just fine but the blower that pushes the air ducts will comeon for 2 or 3 minutes when I initially turn on the unit but it will stop working, everything outside will still be running just no air from blower, any ideas on that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Pack heating quit working [ 6 Answers ]

Well everything was working fine. At christmas I got a new thermostat that you can program to turn on and off according to when your home. I wired it up and its been working for the last month. Today it just quit working. The blower and everything else won't even turn on. I put it on auto and tried...

Goodman gas pack not firing [ 1 Answers ]

I own a Goodman Gas pack model GPG1024 that has failed 4 times in the past month. It usually goes out during the night. I find that the blower is running but no ignition is occurring. On the circuit board the LED light is flashing twice signifying the pressure switch is stuck open( I don't...

Gas pack, heat not working [ 1 Answers ]

The unit is blowing air but its cold,, just went out all of a sudden, its like the fan is running and air is coming out of the vents, but is cold air, what's wrong with my system?

Need for new air ducts with hi eff gas pack? [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a new hi efficiency gas pack HA/C system in a 45 year old brick rancher with conventional galvanized ductwork in the crawl space, returns uninsulated. Contractor says I also need all new flexible ducts, rather than added insulation to the returns. Is that necessary? Code...

View more questions Search