Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparkyshock1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Minimum vent size
    I am installing a full master bath away and inaccessible to the vent stack. I am using a 3" drain(PVC) for toilet, sink and shower. What is the minimum size vent stack I should use?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Hi sparky...

The minimum size vent for full bathroom is 2" (as long as there is at least 1-3" vent stack already out the roof of your house).

If you do not have a vent penetrating your roof yet, then 3" is minimum requirement for a vent.

Venting fixtures can also be a bit tricky... for example, toilet requires 2" minimum vent... and that vent can usually act as a waste line for the lavatory or the tub... making it a wetted vent... DEPENDING ON CERTAIN CONDITIONS... so let us know if you need help with that.. OK?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New system quotes are a headache - does vent size really matter? [ 2 Answers ]

Getting quotes for a complete new central gas heat & a/c, no two quotes alike so far and I'm really getting discusted. Some give quotes on the phone, some on site want to replace ducts & copper lines, some say only the copper lines, some say they can use the current ducts & lines, some say R410a...

Minimum vent size? [ 7 Answers ]

Heya folks... What is the minimum practical vent size? I know most codes call for no smaller than 1.5", but what's the real minimum? It's just air..... I'm (eventually....) putting in a basement bath with either a traditional sewage ejector or a macerating ejector (Sani-Grind). The...

Replacing Bathroom Vent - What Size PVC? [ 8 Answers ]

This is a vent/drain setup I'm replacing. Currently, the drain is 1.5" PVC. The vent is 2" cast iron. Do I replace the whole thing with 2" PVC? Or do I replace the drain with 1.5" PVC and the vent with 2" PVC? For the vent I have pointed to with the "Connector Type?" arrow - I am planning on...

Vent size and fixture ratings? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a very old house and I'm trying to upgrade portions of my DWV plumbing. I am trying to figure out what size my main vent should be. I previously replaced the old 1.5-inch galvanized main vent because it failed, but I only replaced it with 1.5-inch PVC. I believe that it would...

Correct size of Return Air Vent Opening [ 2 Answers ]

What is the correct size for a return air vent opening if I'm using a 4-ton 13SEER A/C? Thanks! Jeff

View more questions Search