Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rchen83 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Don't know where rotten smell from
    My master bedroom (bathroom?) has this rotten smell that I can't trace to anything. We have a septic tank but all the other bathrooms are fine. I checked the attic and found no dead animal or anything. The smell is sometimes strong sometimes weak. It is not obvious that the smell is from a specific place, like the toilet, sink etc. When I fluch the toilet I hear some rubling sound. Could it have anything to do with that? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Do you have forced air heating? When the furnace kicks on it stirs up the air and may dissipate the odor. After it has been off for a while, it builds up. You can isolate things by taping over a drain. If the smell comes when a drain is taped over, it is coming from someplace else. Note, tape over the overflow as well as the drain. Check the drip pan under the refrigerator. You can have a bad wax ring seal on a toilet. Taping around the base may stop it long enough to tell.

Above from a little utility that saved it from a similar question last night. The rumbling makes it even more likely it is the toilet.

Jan 15, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Let me do a little leg work to eliminate some causes. What is an "overflow"?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2006, 11:26 AM
    "What is an "overflow"?"
    When Labman told you to tape over the overflow he meant the tub waste and overflow in your bath tub. That's the chrome plate with the little lever just below the tub spout. Good luck, Tom

Jan 16, 2006, 12:56 PM
    I think I might have found the culprit. It's the jacuzzi bathtub that we never use. Now I was not sure which part of the bath tub that's causing the problem. There are some failed chaulking between the bathtub step and floor that smells bad. The bathtub drain smells terrible when we use the shower (not at the same place as the tub). I follow the advice discussed at this forum and did the bleach and hot water exercise to the drain. I also re-chauked the bathtub. Now the smell is much better. I'll report whether I have fixed the problem. Thanks a lot for the help.
    shalom73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
    "When I fluch the toilet I hear some rubling sound.".. fluching is bad for your toilet, try flushing. Hope this helps Jonas,,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher running smells like rotten eggs [ 19 Answers ]

Two yr old Kitchenaid D/W problem started about this summer and progressively worse with smell of rotten eggs, sulphur smell when D/W is running you can smell it coming from vent in D/W and around D/W and when it drains into disposal. First I tried totally cleaning disposal which we rarely use...

Hot Water smells - not rotten eggs [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water heater was replaced last August, 2004. I was away for a month over the summer and I turned it down to vacation temp. A little while after I returned, the hot water started to smell bad. It happens at every faucet including the shower, and only when I have the hot water running. I...

Stinky Rotten Egg Hot Water [ 18 Answers ]

I know several questions have been posted on this topic, but here is my situation and I am hoping someone will have a few words of wisdom. My home is 2 yrs old and I am on well water-very hard well water. I had no problems with taste, smell etc. except the hard water spots until now. In Feb....

Rotten-egg / sewage smell in home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been experiencing a rotten-egg / sewage smell in my home. It occurs mainly in the summertime but it is not constant. The smell seems to be stirred up by two simultaneous events: (1) running water down the kitchen sink, and (2) the central air-conditioning kicking on. It is...

View more questions Search