Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thatguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 12:28 AM
    Gas furnace blows out cold air at night
    Hi there. I have a problem that I haven't quite seen here and I have no idea how to search for it. Here's the deal: I have a gas furnace. I'm trying to save energy, so I got a new thermostat at the beginning of the fall. I set it to 68 when we're awake and in the house, and 60 after 10pm and when we're away.

Well, it heats just fine, but several times a night, even when it's like 65 in the house, it starts blowing out air. Not heat, just cold air (we don't have AC). So it wastes the heat that's built up in the house!

It's set on heat/auto for the fan.

Any ideas what is happening here? Thanks in advance!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Check the program. Somehow, it could have been programed to do it. If you don't find anything, check with where you bought it or tech service.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Yes - some of those programmable t-stats can be quite complicated. I wonder if maybe it's set to run fan only at a certain temp or time.
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2012, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Hi there. I have a problem that I haven't quite seen here and I have no idea how to search for it. Here's the deal: I have a gas furnace. I'm trying to save energy, so I got a new thermostat at the beginning of the fall. I set it to 68 when we're awake and in the house, and 60 after 10pm and when we're away.

Well, it heats just fine, but several times a night, even when it's like 65 in the house, it starts blowing out air. Not heat, just cold air (we don't have AC). So it wastes the heat that's built up in the house!

It's set on heat/auto for the fan.

Any ideas what is happening here? Thanks in advance!
    I would see if the adaptive recovery option is set on, this overides your specific settings as to the most efficient means to "ramp up" to your desired set point and time. It will adapt over time to start when it decides is most efficient to reach X gegrees at X time. So if you set it for 6 am and at 4 its running that's why.
    It could be the temp delays differential if so equipped, if the on temps not high enough the fan can briefly cycle on/off at times, without a definitive diagnostic its impossible to be accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air [ 18 Answers ]

This actually just started a day ago and I am trying to figure out as much as I can before calling a service person (if necessary). My apologies in advance if I am leaving out important details but I've never dealt with a faulty heater or A/C before. My central heater in the attic was running...

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

Can't get furnace to blow hot/cold air! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I recently moved into a house & I can barely tell that any air is coming out. I have just paid to have all the ducts cleaned. Please help me figure this out.

70's Day and Night Gas Furnace Common wire? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I have a furnace that I need a common wire to hook up A new thermostat that req's a common wire- The Company that originally made the furnace, BDP - merged w/ Carrier I think- I have a Red and Blue coming out of the top of the transformer And black & white @ the bottom - 115v looks...

View more questions Search