Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alankolt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Lwater heater pressure relief valve
    Relief valve leaks sometimes causing small flood, unit is rheem 50 gal gas fired unit. Thermostat is set at the mid setting, water tempurature is not exessive. Should I change the relief valve
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 06:25 PM
    If the pressure is below the valve rate and it is leaking then yes change the valve. If the pressure is over the valve rating then find the fault and make the repair.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:14 PM
    There is a good chance the pressure relief valve is just doing its job. If you have anything that keeps water from flowing out the inlet, such as a back flow preventer, and don't have an expansion tank, the excess water from expansion has to go somewhere. Does the flood come when the tank is recovering from a hot water draw? If you take a shower, is the water coming out about the time you get dressed again and make it to the heater? Does the water quit coming out about the time the burner cuts off? A new valve may be a waste of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

Pressure relief valve / water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking valve on my waterheater , do I need to replace pressure valve , if so what is correct way of doing so ?

Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a State Select brand water heater (40 gallon) which is about 4-5 years old. It recently has begun to leak from the pressure relief valve, and is leaking a lot:( , especially after taking a shower... Is this a simple fix of replacing the valve or something more serious? Any and all...

Water Heater Pressure Relief [ 3 Answers ]

My water heater pressure relief valve is pouring water out of the valve. Do I have a problem with the tank or do I need to turn the temperature down on the heater. More background information: We went on vacation and turned off the water heater and the water to the house. When we returned, we...

View more questions Search