Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mendotahouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 12:18 PM
    Old radiators + new boiler are boiling us alive
    Help! We recently installed a new boiler and pump in our 77-year-old home. The water pressure is great, but too much for our old boilers. They are incredibly hot and can't be turned off. Our plumber has been searching for new valves to fit to the old radiators, but without luck. Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2005, 12:37 PM
    I am having trouble understanding the whole problem. If the radiators are getting too hot, I would think any standard ball or globe valve could be used to throttle down the water flow. Ball valves are trickier to adjust, don't have the angle built in, but have much less problems with the stems leaking, and never need new washers.

A better solution might be to reduce the rate of the boiler firing so the water didn't get so hot. That might be more efficient. It sounds like you may have been sold too large of a boiler. More isn't always better.
    Mendotahouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Thanks for your input. Here are more details
    Hi Labman,
    Thanks very much for responding. Apparently the water pressure is so strong that it just clears the old valves. The plumber had some new valves in mind that could completely shut off radiators and had individual thermostats, to boot. However, the old "American Radiators" stand about 3" off the floor -- the connectors and old valves are about 3" off the floor, too. The modern valves don't fit. He was talking about trying to prop up the old radiators on feet or looking for valve parts in Japanese catalogs. He has brought over two sets of modern valves which don't fit. In the meantime, he suggests we use radiator blankets to keep it from getting too hot and lowering the thermostat. So now the ground floor is barely 60 at night and it's still 75 upstairs. Originally we were hoping to be able to turn the heat off completely on the third floor when it's not in use. Now maybe we should just turn down the pressure on the new pump, if possible.
    Thanks for your advice. I will pass it on to our plumber.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 10, 2005, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendotahouse
    Hi Labman,
    Thanks very much for responding. Apparently the water pressure is so strong that it just clears the old valves. The plumber had some new valves in mind that could completely shut off radiators and had individual thermostats, to boot. However, the old "American Radiators" stand about 3" off the floor -- the connectors and old valves are about 3" off the floor, too. The modern valves don't fit. He was talking about trying to prop up the old radiators on feet or looking for valve parts in Japanese catalogs. He has brought over two sets of modern valves which don't fit. In the meantime, he suggests we use radiator blankets to keep it from getting too hot and lowering the thermostat. So now the ground floor is barely 60 at night and it's still 75 upstairs. Originally we were hoping to be able to turn the heat off completely on the third floor when it's not in use. Now maybe we should just turn down the pressure on the new pump, if possible.
    Thanks for your advice. I will pass it on to our plumber.
    your boiler must have at least a water temperature controller(((*** or there will be an explosion)))... if the hotwater temperature is improperly set the space's temperature will over shoot the stat's set point
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Is this a steam system or hot water with a circulator pump?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
    If you have a pump, it is now a hydronic system. Did the plumber try turning the boiler water temp. down @ the aqua stat? What about partially closing the shut off valve at the boiler? There should be a valve before the circulating pump.
    Massoil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 03:32 AM
    This makes no sense. If you have a hot-water based system w/boiler and radiators, it must have a pressure reducing valve in the water line serving the boiler from the house domestic water system. Most h.w. systems, in homes of up to two stories, run at a pressure of about 12 p.s.I. and the boiler's relief valve will open at 30 p.s.I. in any case. I cannot imagine a valve not being able to withstand the normal operating pressure. The circulating pump (and possibly the burner as well) are turned on and off by the room thermostat, and the water temperature is usually limited to about 180 degrees; thus I can't understand why you would be getting too warm, unless the thermostat was incorrectly wired. If it's a steam system you have, the pressure is even less; they normally operate at no more than 1 p.s.I.-2 in extreme cases. Relief valves on steam boilers are set to release at 15 p.s.I. Note that I am a Massachusetts-licensed oil burner technician with nearly 40 years experience in the heating and refrigeration trades.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiators not working properly [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can please help. We have had problems with our heating system (2 years old) for the past 2 months and have had the people who installed it working to repair it. First the boiler stopped working properly. After a new pump, heat exchanger and circuit board were fitted, the boiler...

I'm Alive(?) [ 16 Answers ]

I was at a ski resort, and heard a song that was really good, in my opinion, that had the hook "I'm Alive" in it. The song had a sort of creppy-funk vibe. Sorry I can't give more info, but it's been awhile since I heard it, and it's driving me crazy. Thx in advance for any help.

Need Help, Please Its Eating Me Alive! [ 2 Answers ]

Its been I think around 2-5 years since I last saw this movie. Its about teenagers and love. First there are these groups of friends and two guys are dating these girls, one of the girls is popular in school. There is a third girl (who in my opion reminds me of the girl from secret world of alex...

HELP- boiling eggs [ 3 Answers ]

I know its supposed to be the easiest thing to make, but I have incredible difficulty boiling eggs! What gives?? They either turn out not cooked enough, or the water evaporates, or the eggs explode in the water! Please help, I have tried every thing and the eggs never turn out right. What's the...

Radiators heat when only Hot water on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a newly installed Mains Pressure Hot Water Cylinder. When I turn on the hot water only; after about 15 minutes some radiators begin to heat. The plumber says this is backwash and I should turn the hot water off after 15 minures to solve the problem. I think in a new, modern system,...

View more questions Search