Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bad Boy Andy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Honeywell thermostat pro 8000, Why remove jumper wire?
    I'm trying to install a HoneyWell digital thermostat Pro 8000, part number TH8320U108 for my Rudd and Rheem heating and a/c system.

The Rudd Furnace is a plain Silhouette and the Rheem a/c is a model 3765SA17.

All of the wiring hook up points from the old Honeywell thermostat match the new one.
    Except for the following. The new thermostat has a "RC" and a "R" hook up point with a jumper wire installed. But, the old one only has a "R" hook up point where the red wire was attached.

The installation booklet says if there is only one transformer, leave the jumper wire installed and hook the red wire to the "R" hookup point.
    If there are two transformers, it says to remove the jumper wire.

How would I know if there are two transformers? If there are two transformers, is there another wire to be hooked up to the "RC" hookup point?

The honeywell customer service rep said he could not answer my questions. Because, only a professional electrician is supposed to install the Pro 8000.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 2, 2007, 06:57 PM
    A professional electrician? Sounds like the guy you talked to just didn't want to do his job or just plain didn't know. I have installed several of those and I am just a dumb 'ole HVAC/R guy lol.

Very rarely have I ever seen a residential split system with 2 transformers. In fact I can't ever remember one. But to be on the cautious side I: open up the electrical compartment on your furnace. There should be only one transformer there. If you have a second it is most likely in the electrical compartment of the condensing unit.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
    If the old thermostat worked with a red wire on R, then the new one will work with it connected to RH and RC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell thermostat - old orange wire [ 5 Answers ]

I'm installing Hunter thermostats (replacing my old Honeywell thermostats). There is an orange wire in the old thermostat, but not in the new one. Is the orange wire for power (which I wouldn't need for the new battery-powered thermostats)?

Honeywell VisionPRO 8000 Installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! We just finished building our new home and didn't think about thermostats along the way. There is a simple digital thermostat installed at this time but we wanted a programmable one. I attempted to install it today but the compressor wouldn't cut on. I've installed thermostats before...

How to wire a new honeywell thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there honeywell rth 5100b I am getting heat with fan but the ac compressor not coming on for cooling,fan does though I have 5 wires coming out of wall to thermostat White Red Yellow Green Black

Noma 5+1+1 thermostat - jumper? [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Noma 5+1+1 heating/cooling programmable thermostat to replace the one that came with my new home. I have a furnace and an A/C unit. The wiring on the old one is as follows: Green wire > G Orange wire > Y White wire > W Red wire > RC jumped to RH The new thermostat has...

View more questions Search