Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chedallen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Can I disable outside unit with a heat pump?
    I believe I have a Payne heat pump, and it only blows slightly warm air and when the unit comes on, it turns on the outside unit. I always thought the outside unit went with the air conditioner, but I'm learning that isn't always the case.

I just installed a new thermostat, and didn't connect all the wires that were connected to the older thermostat. I also noticed after the installation that the unit said it couldn't be used with heat pumps. Now when I turn on the heat, with the new thermostat, the air is warmer and the outside unit doesn't come on.

I think this is great, but am I harming my system? Thanks for the help!

Ched
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 07:45 PM
    NO just pull the disconnect or breaker to the outside unit.
    derobert Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2007, 11:48 PM
    A heat pump normally has two sources of heat (1) the compressor outside; this normally feels cool at the vent (2) electric resistive heating; this normally feels warm at the vent. It sounds like you managed to switch your heat pump from primarily (1) to only (2).

The news of the damage you've done will soon come from your electric utility company. Just wait until you find out how much power method 2 uses.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 03:41 AM
    A heat pump is essentially an Air conditioner that can operate in reverse. It can extract heat from the outside and move it inside or extract heat from inside and move it outside. It's efficient in doing this unless the outside temperature is cold. When it's slightly above freezing, the system can't work so backup, emergency or resistive heating heat kicks in. That heat is very expensive.

The main differences between conventional and a HP stat are: 1) HP's have reversing valves; 2) HP stats have emergency heat
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 05:35 AM
    You are not harming your system but others said it will be more expensive to run resistance heat all winter without the outside heat pump running. This is true but you can run your system without the outside unit running the only difference is the extra $$$ you will spend to heat your house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BUZZ on the outside unit of my A/C (heat pump) [ 5 Answers ]

The A/C of my heat pump is still working fine... but suddenly the outside unit started having this BUZZ when the unit is running. Everything seems to be working fine, the house is cool and the unit cycles nicely. Should I do something to prevent failure in the future? Thanks

Heat pump condensing unit will not shut off [ 4 Answers ]

My heat pump condensing unit has been running for several hours now without shutting off. It is blowing out cool air. When I turn unit off manually and turn back on, you can feel the heat for a few minutes and then it goes back to cool. Please help...

New Outside Condsing Unit, Bad indoor Coil - Go with Heat Pump or Buy New Coil? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, Here is my issue. Recently, our home warranty company paid to replace a 25 year old 7 SEER Borg Warner outside unit, but swore up and down that the indoor Borg Warner Coil would be OK with the new 10 SEER Carrier. We no longer have this home warranty company and they are not standing...

RUUD Heat Pump Outside Unit Fan not coming on [ 1 Answers ]

I just closed on my house - made one payment and the outside heat pump is not working!! About 3-4 weeks ago the fan on the outdside unit just sounded a little rough, almost a slight grind/knocking noise- although nothing major or too out of the ordinary for a fan motor ,just a little bit...

Strange Breaker problems with Heat pump and AC unit [ 1 Answers ]

Recently we have been having strange issues with our breakers. :confused: Typically if we have more than 2 appliances running in the kitchen, the GFI outlets will pop the breaker. We just reset it, and try not to use too many things at once. This is fine. :rolleyes: But... yesterday, I...

View more questions Search