Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ron d plumber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Electric baseboard heater t-stats
    When wiring a thermostat to baseboard heater how do I know when to use a single or double pole t-stat and what size amps?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
    The nameplate information from your baseboard heater should tell you.

How many heaters are you serving?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Nov 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ron d plumber
    when wiring a thermostat to baseboard heater how do I know when to use a single or double pole t-stat and what size amps?
    It depends how it is wired. If the power goes to the heater first, with a second wire from the heater to the thermostat, then use a single pole thermostat. If the power goes to the thermostat first, then you should use a double pole thermostat.

Thermostats and heaters are normally rated in watts not amps.
    watts = voltage * amps where voltage is 120 or 240 depending on the circuit.

Nov 7, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Rtw is correct, if you can trust the installer of both the wiring, and the baseboard.

It's best to check the baseboard--who's to say it was wired correctly?

Then once you get the baseboard information, we can start looking at the wiring.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
    On a 240 volt heater is is always best to use a double pole thermostat. If only 120 volts, no need to switch the neutral. If the heaters are already wired up with the feed going to the heaters and a switch loop, you have no choice but to use a single pole thermostat, leaving all the wiring hot even with it off. If you are wiring a 240 volt one up, run the feed to a double pole thermostat and then to the heaters.

Look for one that will switch more than the total of your heaters. One short cut would be to match the thermostat to the breaker feeding it. If it is 20 amps, then a thermostat that can switch 20 amps is fine.

Nov 11, 2007, 10:16 PM
    One short cut would be to match the thermostat to the breaker feeding it. If it is 20 amps, then a thermostat that can switch 20 amps is fine.
    PLease explain?

Nov 11, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ron d plumber
    when wiring a thermostat to baseboard heater how do I know when to use a single or double pole t-stat and what size amps?
    Lets take a look at the question.

1.Which t-stat should I use (single or double)

2.What size breaker

Here's the answer:

1. Based on the information we have, we do not know. Based on assumption. See the above answers

2. Same thing as answer #1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard electric heater buzz/hum [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed 3 Marley electric baseboard resistance heaters in my finished basement: a 2500 watt, 1000 watt and a 750 watt unit. All are 240V running off one 30 amp double pole circuit breaker with 10 gage copper wire. Each heater has it own thermostat. The 1000 and 750 watt units have...

Electric baseboard heat [ 2 Answers ]

Getting ready to install electric baseboard heat. Need to do four separate rooms, some single runs up to ten feet, with some rooms having two six foot units by using standard calculations. From material read, I will need double pole 20 amp breakers, and using 12/3 wire What is difference...

Buzz or humm in electric baseboard heater [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a Marley series 2500 baseboard heater (220V) with Marley single pole thermostat mounted at the heater. The heater works but there is an annoying buzz when it is heating. Is this inherent in the heater, or have I connected it incorrectly? Double size breaker, through switch at wall...

Electric baseboard help [ 1 Answers ]

We have just tried to turn on our electric baseboard heat for the season and only one room comes on. There is a thermostat in every room and I can hear them click but no heat is generating. What can be wrong?? We have checked the breakers and they are on and have juice. Please someone HELP me! I...

View more questions Search