Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueskies4ever Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Blower won't run in auto for heat with oil furnace
    I have an oil furnace.

A/C works fine.

Heat last season worked fine.

Started up furnace this year just fine. But blower would not start on auto. The blower will run in heat mode when set to On.

I replaced the Limit Switch in the Plenum. No change.

I replaced the Fan Relay. No change.

Not sure what to do next.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    J Costa Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 30, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Did you check your thermastat?
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Oct 30, 2007, 05:19 PM
    You might check the wiring going to the fan motor if this is a 2 speed motor. Sounds like the low speed portion of the motor might have a problem. Check voltage at relay and go from there

Oct 30, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eschuen
    you might check the wiring going to the fan motor if this is a 2 speed motor. Sounds like the low speed portion of the motor might have a problem. Check voltage at relay and go from there
    If there was an issue with the wiring to the fan motor, wouldn't this also be a problem in the A/C mode? In any event, unless I'm misunderstanding you, I only have one speed other than off.

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 07:57 PM
    In most systems the blower uses a slower speed from a different winding controlled by a different relay than in A/C or fan on. So it is perfectly possible for the blower to work fine in A/C andfan on, but not heat. Look at the wires to the blwer motor. A single speed motor would only have a hot and a neutral. It is has more than 2 wires, it is a multiple speed motor.

Note, in heat, the thermostat has nothing to do with the blower. The blower is controlled by a limit switch or a timer on the control board.

Oct 31, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    In most systems the blower uses a slower speed from a different winding controled by a different relay than in A/C or fan on. So it is perfectly possible for the blower to work fine in A/C andfan on, but not heat. Look at the wires to the blwer motor. a single speed motor would only have a hot and a neutral. It is has more than 2 wires, it is a multiple speed motor.

Note, in heat, the thermostat has nothing to do with the blower. The blower is controlled by a limit switch or a timer on the control board.
    Thanks for the feedback.

There are only two wires going to the motor. The motor has several wires that give you the option of what speed to run at depending on which one is connected. The red wire on the motor is the one that is connected and sets the speed at low.

Also, my furnace is of a vintage that does not use a control board. Other than the limit switch in the plenum (replaced), the fan relay (replaced), there is one additional switching component. It has 3 low voltage wires that run back to the relay and has one hot wire. There is a "dial" on the switch that sets a time adjustment between 150 and 200 sec. I assume it is to set the length of time the blower runs after the furnace switches off.

Thanks again.

Nov 3, 2007, 03:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies4ever
    Thanks for the feedback.

There are only two wires going to the motor. The motor has several wires that give you the option of what speed to run at depending on which one is connected. The red wire on the motor is the one that is connected and sets the speed at low.

Also, my furnace is of a vintage that does not use a control board. Other than the limit switch in the plenum (replaced), the fan relay (replaced), there is one additional switching component. It has 3 low voltage wires that run back to the relay and has one hot wire. There is a "dial" on the switch that sets a time adjustment between 150 and 200 sec. I assume it is to set the length of time the blower runs after the furnace switches off.

Thanks again.
    I'm still having the same issue as originally described and as per my follow up. I thought I'd try and put this out there one last time in the hope that someone might have an idea of what my problem might be.

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 09:51 AM
    I frequently leave questions hoping somebody that knows more than me answers. Often as not, it is somebody that knows less.

Try jumping the hot wire to the timing switch to the terminal on the relay that the other wire goes to. If the motor then runs, the switch is bad. Remove it and take it to a HVAC supply and let them match it.

Nov 3, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I frequently leave questions hoping somebody that knows more than me answers. Often as not, it is somebody that knows less.

Try jumping the hot wire to the timing switch to the terminal on the relay that the other wire goes to. If the motor then runs, the switch is bad. Remove it and take it to a HVAC supply and let them match it.
    I'm afraid I must be dense. There is one hot wire going to the timing switch. When you are saying to jump this to the terminal on the relay that the other wire goes to, I'm afraid I don't understand how are you distinguishing the other wire. I also assume the switch you are suggesting I fault isolate is the one with the time dial on it, is that right?

Thanks again.
    homefix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Say blueskies4ever, how did you fix this relay problem? I have a very simlar problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower can not auto start [ 29 Answers ]

I have a problem with my furnace blower not starting automatically. It works good when I swiched the fan option to "ON", the furnace was burning and fan was running. However if I pick "AUTO", only the furnace burns periodicaly, and the fan totall gets stuck. I am wondering if it is a wiring...

Programmable Thermostat, Fan runs, Heat/Air do not run in Auto setting [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell, RTH230B. My connections are: R to Rh (red jumper to Rc that came with the unit) W to W Y to Y G to G B to nothing The fan comes on (when set to "on").

Run blower without heat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weather king propane furnace. I do not know the age. I have a simple dial thermostat. I would like to figure out how to run the blower without the heat. The wires from the thermo going into furnace have the three wires but the green is not connected to anything. The red is connected...

Furnace won't heat in Auto [ 2 Answers ]

I have read the different posting and replys, but they don't seem to address my problem. Friend has an older Kenmore Power Miser 70 that has an old electronic ign. (no flame senser). The furnace will heat when the fan switch is set to "on" position, and it will cycle the heat. When the fan is...

View more questions Search