Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    runninlow3 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Magic Chef Heat Pump
    Hi everyone... this is my first post and hoping someone can help me out.
    I live in a condo, built in the 80's. It has a heat pump system, Magic Chef brand which was probably original to when the condos were built.
    The problem I have encountered is in the winter, in outdoor temps below freezing, when there is snow... the part of the hvac unit on the exterior of my condo forms ice on the condenser/coil. I can get it to defrost only if I switch it into A/C mode. So, that means that my reversing valve is working. When I bought the condo, I replaced the thermostat with a programmable thermostst (White Rodgers). I did notice it has an internal O/B switch on the thermostat. It is on the 'O' position. Would it make any difference or energize the reversing valve in heat if I switch it over to 'B'? The wire color looks dark orange, but not black.
    I have also been told to check the defrost relay and/or defrost control/timer because it may be a part causing it not to operate.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any further info to help me out, feel free to ask.
    Thanks
    J Costa Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 29, 2007, 09:04 AM
    If your unit is heating fine than it is probably not your thermastats blue or orange wiring the blue is typically used toenergize the valve in heat and the orange to energize during cool mode you are probably looking at defrost thermastat or defrost relay or your timer. If you have a thermastat and it is faulty it will not close the relay to call for a defrost mode. Your relay is what deenergizes your reversing valve to allow for defrost.

Oct 29, 2007, 11:31 AM
    I'll look into testing the defrost relay and defrost control/timer. Any info as to how I can go about testing those parts?
    Also, the make model of my unit is:
    Magic Chef
    Model - PWC24E9.2-1

Does anybody know of any websites/companies which I could possibly find parts for this unit?

Thanks again
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 02:45 PM
    J Acosta is correct with his information, the parts needed are probably generic parts that could be purchased at your local heating and air conditioning supply house. The timer is a likely suspect, they will have a name and model number on it , the same with the relay. Good luck, Mike

Oct 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Thanks... I appreciate the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Magic Chef CSD2123AR [ 4 Answers ]

We have a refrigerator that isn't cooling correctly. Last week we lost power for a day. We had to turn off the main switch in the house until the power was restored. After it was restored and we turned on the main switch, the dial was set at 8. It isn't as cold as it should be. We didn't know...

Magic chef refrigerator not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

Why is there no air flow going from the freezer to the refrigerator?

Magic chef dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer will run fine one day and the next it will buzz( longer than it was designed 2) and then start. If I open it to put more in it will buzz and not start. I tried unpluging it, diff temps, no temp. I'll take out all my stuff and push start and then it starts... I'am close to causing it VERY...

Magic chef 4.6 cu ft frigerator [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this refergerator. I am interested to know can the small freezer part be taken out of this unit and have the unit continue to work. I have no need of the freezer and would like the extra clearance it would give me. Thanks for any answers.

Magic Chef Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I run an apartment complex's maintenance department with 250 units. I've been doing this for a few years and before that I was in the hvac and appliance repair business. I have a problem that is popping up in several of these refrigerators that I have not figured out. I have called...

View more questions Search