Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim in Kent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Janitrol furnace will not ignite from thermostat
    I have a Janitrol furnace, that I believe to about 50 yrs. Old, model # FEC 120-84, type D. When I turn the thermostat on, the pilot light will not ignite the burners. I then go to the furnace and trip a microswitch that appears to be wired to a thermocouple and activated by a rod that goes from the pilot light to the switch. If I push the rod, the burners will light. I have to hold the rod in for almost 10 seconds, then the burners will stay lit. Some times it will stay lit by just triping the switch. The furnace will continue to go on and off at night with the thermostat and when I turn in on in the morning I have to go through the same process again. What do you think the problem is?

Thank you,

Jim
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Sounds like you have a thermocouple with a low voltage (harness/safety cut off) attached. Those parts are still available. I would replace the part with one of the same type and go from there. The one I am talking about might have 2 1/4 spade connectors and others had wire leeds.
    wherr69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Pilot lit will not ignite from thermostat
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Wow,, a 50 year old gas furnace, I would have a carbon monoxide detector in every room that has a register,and would still sleep with a window open
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wherr69
    pilot lit will not ignite from thermostat
    We need more details, perhaps the brand and model? At least explain if it has a standing pilot or the pilot ignites each cycle? Do you get sparks or thehot surface glows?

Dec 13, 2007, 11:17 PM
    I have a Janitrol furnace, that I believe to about 50 yrs. Old, model # FEC 120-84, type D

Here's the model labman.
    This has the very old type safety because it is a 1956 furnace. They did not use electric spark back then but they did have a manual spark lighter on some models. Kind of like flint and steel and the flint was replaceable.

The parts are available somewhere but he would probably be better off changing to a more modern gas valve train assembly OR get a new furnace.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Sorry hvac, read the post I quoted. How do you know wherr69 has a 50 year old furnace? Yes he should have started his own thread, but he didn't. If it was the 50 year old furnace, why would I have quoted the post and asked for the model when it was given in the first post? Your screw up, not mine.

Dec 14, 2007, 05:01 AM
    The thread is for Jim In Kent. Read the first post.

Are we now going to start answering questions about other equipment contained in someone else's post.

You were the person telling people to post there question in a new post and not in someone else's.

I do not read the quotes and I admit that because I never felt it necessary since you always played by the rules. But now you have decided to answer any question, anywhere, anytime, no mater what the subject,and this board is going to get really messed up with those kind of rules.

I always play by the rules and follow the scorecard but with you changing the rules it makes it difficult to know exactly what is the correct procedure for this venue.

Have a great day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Janitrol Thermostat with Honeywell Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace my manual Janitrol Model HPT 18-60 thermostat with a Honeywell Programmable Model CT3500 thermostat. My Heat Pump is a Trane TWR012-042C The 6 wires connected to the Janitrol thermostate are: Y, W2, G, R, O, C How do I connect these six wires to the Honeywell that...

Carrier furnace won't ignite [ 1 Answers ]

I own a carrier furnace Infinity installed in 1994 model p21559 B.V. the ignitor does not ignite and the blower does not blow. The thermostat reads hold -AC .This furnace has been a problem since it has been installed.

Furnace will not ignite in Auto mode. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Armstrong-Air Gas-Fired furnace G1D91AU and a programmable thermostat which when I set to heat and says system on but the furnace is not turning on. If I set the thermostat to ON the furnace runs but is blowing cold air. It this a problem with my thremostat or my furnace itself? I...

Lennox G12 Furnace won't ignite [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have problems with my Furnace. I currently have a Lennox G12RD2-82-3 from 1980. Last week I replaced the furnace blower but now the furnace won't ignite. These are the conditions: --the pilot is always on -- I have replaced the thermocouple --the thermostat is OK --the blower kicks on...

View more questions Search