Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3333333 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Radiators cold until water heater comes on
    Radiators stay cold,until water heater timer turns on as well,confused.any ideas:confused:
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Maybe a better explanation is needed for us, if the water heater timer is off then there is no heat to keep the radiator warm, its going to get cold fairly quick with no warm water flowing through them and if cooler water is flowing through them, then they will get colder even faster. A radiator is a heat exchanger.

Oct 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3333333
    radiators stay cold,until water heater timer turns on aswell,confused.any ideas:confused:
    Got 2 channel timer,separate heating and water timers,so do I need to keep water on all day as well as heating
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Until a better answer comes along, think of your electric bill. In the mean time you are thinking about staying warm. Hot water will pump through your radiators, the radiators will start to produce heat, if the water stops flowing you have to stop the heateror it will over heat so a thermostat shuts of the heater within the heater, when the room gets colder, the room thermostat tells the water to pump more hot water through.

You say you have timer so you can turn both off when you are not home or while you are sleeping, do your thermostats not control everything automatically while you are home and while you do desire heat. In this case it would be concedered OK to leave the timers on and allow the thermostats to do their job.

With the timer on during a nice warm day, the heater will continue to keep the water hot within the storage tank when it would be more efficient to turn it off when totally not needed. Years ago I use to monitor my electric meter everyday and that forced my to be more economic, nice word.

Oct 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Thanks,got young kids so need to keep house warm.gonna keep both on and hope for best,until had it comfirned

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Heater and radiators [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had to drain my second floor radiators because I needed to remove the Master Bedroom radiator. Now a plummer had showed me in the past how to drain my pipes, but never did show me how to refill them. How do I refill my radiators with water? Shovelbum

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

Hot water tank is cold, radiators working [ 2 Answers ]

I recently turned the water off to repair a pipe which I had accedently hammered a nail through. When I turned the water back on everything worked fine, but I've now noticed that when I put the heating on, the radiators all work but the water in the hot water tank doesn't heat up. Water comes out...

View more questions Search