Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cobia13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
    a/c return ducts
    Is there any rule of thumb about the size of a a/c return duct? I cannot get my house below 78 degrees when it is 90+ outside. Even when the house gets to 75 the thermostat will not turn off the unit. I have to dial in a higher number (78).

Thks

cobia13
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
    ((I cannot get my house below 78 degrees when it is 90+))

First check the air filter to make sure it is clean.

((even when the house gets to 75 the thermostat will not turn off the unit. I have to dial in a higher number (78).))

Sounds like your thermostat is out of calibration.

((is there any rule of thumb about the size of a a/c return duct?))

Yes there is but it is definitely not the way to correctly calculate the proper size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

Furnace Return Ducts [ 1 Answers ]

No return ducts on the second floor - leaking air in these rooms

O return ducts on the second floor [ 1 Answers ]

No return ducts on the second floor - leaking air in these rooms.:mad:

Cables through cold air return ducts? [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement my return air is done by enclosing floor joists. Can I run cables through the 'duct' by drilling two holes and pulling my cable through the duct at 90 degs. Thanks :o

Noisy return ducts [ 1 Answers ]

The wall separating 2 bedrooms on the second floor of the house contains a return air duct. Recently when someone walks near the wall, there is a banging noise coming from the wall. And several hours later, even though no one is upstairs, we hear banging noises again. Do you think the duct is...

View more questions Search