Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjdig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Duct work for ehaust fan
    I'm going to install an ehaust fan in my bathroom that requires venting through the attic. Can I run the vent close to my attic fan opening with a hood attchment on the end of the duct rather than throught the roof or out the side of the house. I noticed that galvinized duct is cheaper than aluminum. Any difference or preferance since it is only going to be used to vent the bathroom along with a damper attachment.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Check with your local code officer they are the one who gets to decide. I bet they say vent it through the roof. Good luck.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 05:39 PM
    All you need to do is terminate the vent near the roof vent or exhauster, it does not need to go through the roof. It is acceptacle to use aluminum flex pipe, this is the easiest and cheapest. Good luck, Mike
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    All you need to do is terminate the vent near the roof vent or exhauster, it does not need to go thru the roof. It is acceptacle to use aluminum flex pipe, this is the easiest and cheapest. Good luck, Mike
    I agree it's the cheapest way but in my city the inspector gives you a red tag and says try again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring inline duct fan to furnace fan goodman gmp100-4 [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire my inline duct fan to my Goodman model gmp100-4 gas furnace fan so that the inline duct fan comes on and off when the furnace fan does? I understand that I need a relay from the inline duct fan but don't know where to connect the relay to the furnace.

Controlling a duct fan with thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

I need to control an in-line duct fan with a thermostat. Since the thermostat I have (a basic Honeywell non-programmable heat/cool) requires 24v and the duct fan runs on 110v I'm assuming I will need some type of relay that provides 24v for the thermostat and 110v for the fan. Hopefully, there...

Metal Basement Duct work change out for PVC [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rectuangular suppluy and return system that feed from from furnace at one end of my basement. It has two main leads out. They branch off and finally reduct to a single duct at the far end of my house. I'm looking to put in a drop celling and would love to swap out my existing duct work...

Bathroom fan - no duct? [ 5 Answers ]

I wanted to see why the smell in the bathroom was not going away, and I opened the fan grille and noticed that the bathroom fan has no duct. Inside the grille is just a small box with a fan blowing upwards into it, but there is no way for the smell to escape by means of a tube to the roof. ...

View more questions Search