Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennis6 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2005, 11:59 AM
    Baseboard heat question
    I've roughed in wiring to install 2 baseboard heaters in a room in my basement.I want to make sure that I got it right.I ran 12/2 wire from the panel to the wall thermostat box,then a separate 12/2 line out to each heater location.I want to use one 1000w heater and one 1500w heater and put them on 20 amp breaker.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2005, 12:08 PM
    Sounds perfect. I really have nothing to add.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2005, 12:17 PM
    Does the thermostat switch the full load, or just control the coil of a relay? The way I read your question, one 12-2 is feeding 2500 watts. Of course, that is fine if it is 208 or 240 volts.
    dennis6 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2005, 01:27 PM
    Yes they are 240 v heaters and I will be using a double pole thermostat.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2005, 02:39 PM
    OK, I didn't want to chance tkrussel missed a detail. Otherwise, I would expect his answer to be correct. Sometimes people give wrong answers because they didn't see the question quite right.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2005, 04:07 PM
    Thanks for the backup Labman,just sometimes I take things as understood, and I realized I should not do that.
    Phylo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 05:57 PM
    Wiring baseboard radiant heater
    I've been trying to install a new baseboard radiant heater, just as dennis6 described, but the unit will not heat up. I finally bypassed the thermostat and hot wired the unit (in order to determine if the thermostat was the problem) but still no heat, even though the wires at the unit test hot.

I have a 12/2 wire running from the panel directly to the baseboard unit. Ground is attached to grounding screwin the heating unit, and the (hot) white & black wires (coming from a twin 20 amp breaker) are attached to the two wires on the 240 Vac heating unit. Still no heat.

What am I missing here?

Is there an independent test for determining whether the heating unit is defective? I bought two of them, and neither works under the scenario I've described.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bob
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 25, 2005, 07:02 PM
    Use an OHM meter to see if there is impedance in the circuit. That will tell you if the heater is good. Also check to make sure you have voltage going to the heater and to the right wires on the heater.

Oct 26, 2005, 01:56 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. The ohm meter tells me the heater (actually two separate units) is good, and I've also verified that power is at the unit. The meter shows 120 Vac on each of the two heater wires when I contact them (separately) with the ground.

Oct 26, 2005, 02:00 PM
    As an addendum, the heat unit has two wires, both covered with some sort of fabric-looking sleeve, probably to protect from high temp. Since the unit is 240 Vac, the wires going to the unit are a ground and two hots, so it should not matter which hot is attached to which heater wire.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 26, 2005, 04:00 PM
    Correct it will not matter which hot legs are attached to what element wire. Is there a overload built in the heater. Some heaters have them and there can have a red button on top to reset them. Take a good look inside the heater.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2005, 04:07 PM
    Check to be sure you are using a true 240 volt 2 pole breaker. You may be using a tandem breaker, has two small handles in one space of a single pole breaker.

If this type of breaker is used on one "phase" or hot leg of a panel, you will see 120 volt to ground from each hot wire. You don't say what happens when tested across both hot wires. You should see 240 volts.

Then there is the true two pole breaker, half size, again you can install on one leg getig the same results.

Get back with the part numner of the breaker and I should be able to tell what you have.

Oct 29, 2005, 04:56 PM
    Tkrussell
    Thanks to you and others who thought about and suggested solutions to my problem. Tk - you were spot on! I was using a tandem breaker with both circuits on the same phase/buss bar. When I took one leg of the wire off that breaker and put it into a separate 20 amp breaker on another phase, the heater lit up like a Christmas tree (metaphorically speaking).

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump question [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and we have a lennox heat pump unit. It has been very hot here recently averaging about 90+ and I have noticed that during the day my heat pump seems to run almost continuously with the tstat set at 74. It will cut off once and a while but its usually only for about 5-10...

Programmable tstat on baseboard heat [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a low voltage thermostat to work with my electric baseboard heat. It is a low voltage system with two transformers that I can see in my crawlspace. Is low voltage the same as millivolt or do I need to make sure which I have and which the tstat works with? I've got two wires coming to...

Basic heat only thermostat wiring question [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a Mears w/ a Lux LV2-1042: Double Pole, Line Voltage, Heating Only Thermostat. This is radiant floor elec heat. Am not sure which wires connect to which. The thermostat has 4 wires (2 red, 2 black) Out of the wall comes, from the top- 1 black wire (hot), 1 white (neutral) and the...

Baseboard electric heat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/style of baseboard heaters? Have looked at hydrosil, they claim to be efficient but are higher priced units. Are the fluid/gel filled units that much more efficient than the cheaper units? Thanks

Thermostats for baseboard heat [ 4 Answers ]

We built our house 30 years ago using electric baseboard heat. This is 240 volt electric heat. We would like to change the original thermostats (Mears M7) to progammable digital themostats. Those that we have looked at indicate two models; single pole and double pole. How would I determine which...

View more questions Search