Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momdadhsu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 12:42 PM
    A/C temperature setting
    Today, I am told by A/C serviceman that the thermostat setting should be 72 degrees regardless how high the outside temperature is. The reason is: every time the unit kicks on or off, it will use 240 volts, and a low setting will make A/C run non-stop, thus will save electricity. Any truth to this? He also says that the setting for winter should also be 72 degrees! If he is right, how about EPA recommendations (78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter)? How about some units that will freeze up if the setting is too low (70-73 degrees)? I need some professional advise. Thank you.
    By the way, a low setting will make the unit run non-stop, won't that damage the machine in long term?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 PM
    I recommend like you stated 78/68. Every degree below 78 that you lower the thermostat will cost you 8% more in cooling cost. If 78 is not cool enough I would not set lower than 75.The unit running longer will not hurt unit. They are design to run. There is another theory that the thermostat should only be set 10 degrees lower than the ambient for cooling
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Absoluty agree with Esquire1, to state that an air conditioning unit will cost less to operate if run continuously, then allowing it to cycle at a higher temperature is totally not true and the statement of using 240 volt, it uses 240 volt any time it is running not just on start up.
    Get a different a/c co. in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat will not keep temperature setting [ 2 Answers ]

The problem we have usually happens when it gets really cold, about 20 Degrees - We have a Lux electronic thermostat, and the furnace will not kick on when the temperatures goes below the setting. We have to manually do this - then the furnace runs for a little bit, enough to raise the temperature...

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the same air temperature feel differently in different parts of the country ? i.e. - Breckenridge, Colorado @ 40 degrees, feels much different than Houston, Texas @ 40 degrees no matter the time of the year.

Ground temperature [ 3 Answers ]

At what depth does the temperature remain relatively stable?

Temperature of air [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an acoustics experiment in physics. I tested how the amplitude of sound was affected based on the temperature of the air. I know that the speed of sound is affected by temperature. Sound will travel faster in colder air. Likewise it travels fastest in solids, followed by liquids then...

View more questions Search