Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjense33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 09:20 AM
    Thermostate says its cooling but its not!
    The thermostate can be set on either cooling or just on. It will kick on only sometimes, no matter what the temperature. Is the problem the central AC unit, the thermostate or some kind of communication between them. If it's the last one could it be the communication at the thermostate end or the unit end? Help its hot! Sizzle
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2005, 01:27 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

If it is working erratically, check the connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooling Anticipator [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the "Anticipator" is adjustable on an analog Weathertron Thermostat? My system is a Trane Heat Pump. I'd like to increase the interval of "Off-Time" after the house reaches the temperature setting in the cooling mode. Thanks.

A/c not cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a problem with my central a/c not cooling. Both my outside unit and my blower in the attic are running, but I'm not getting cool air.Any ideas? Thanks.

Alternative cooling [ 1 Answers ]

My family is about to buy a home and this new home has a central duckt about 2 feet square (with a grill that did now alow me to look inside) on the 2nd floor that goes verticaly through the attic. The current owner's explanation is that is like a skylight with a fan that will suck up the hot air...

Cooling engines [ 2 Answers ]

Why do most vehicles use water to keep cool when oil would prevent rust and not evaporate?

A/C not cooling [ 11 Answers ]

I apologise if a similar question was already asked. However, I did try to look for thread with similar problem but couldn't find one. I live in a house which is approx 20 years old now. Originally the house was built with just the heating system. 3 years ago we installed a new carrier air...

View more questions Search